vanadium 1

potassium 4

fuel 0.00

vis@100°C 36.3 cSt

water 0.05

solids 0.00

glycol pos(?)

[ December 02, 2004, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

Wow! That some serious quantities of additives there.

Look at that sodium level! This VOA is priceless to anyone trying this stuff and doing a UOA. Otherwise they'd think someone was pouring road salt into their engine.
grin.gif

How much is this stuff nowadays?

1 ounce/quart would add 190 ppm zinc. Is there any reason not to add a small amount of this at each oil change?

Added moly to the initial report,2ppm.I called ANA today and asked them to re-run the sample.They did and got a similar number.

quote:

Originally posted by ebaker:
1 ounce/quart would add 190 ppm zinc. Is there any reason not to add a small amount of this at each oil change?

I guess we know some of the addatives, but what about the base stock? A cheap or too thick base stock may not be desirable if your adding it to a good GrouP II, III, or IV oil. Does it have any VIIs?

The link provided by 427Z06 shows the product as labeled an "Assembly Lube." I would be concerned about using this stuff for regular oil additive unless the company says you can.

Paul, that may be true--your caution flag is noted...
smile.gif

I don't know how reliable the infomation is, and I can't recall now where I found it, but I read that GM changed the nomenclature of the product because it now contains too much ZDDP to meet the newer standards. So they can't recommend it for "general use" now.

E.O.S. stands for Engine Oil Supplement, and then they add the words "Assembly Lubricant" to that...

This product seems to contain the largest concentration of ZDDP of any I've looked at. Makes Valvoline SynPower look tame.
smile.gif

I haven't made any firm decision to pour an ounce or two into my motorcycle oil just yet...

Dan

By the way... this GM EOS stuff isn't hard to find. Two different GM dealers (Chevy and Pontiac) in my little town both had it. Full retail,
frown.gif
though, at $8.55 for a 16 ounce bottle.

Still, if one ounce per quart would boost ZDDP by 170 to 200 ppm it wouldn't be a bad deal--provided it didn't make my UOA's look like I'd been running Redline or something such...
tongue.gif
grin.gif

Dan

EOS also contains a lot of detergents/ dispersants, Na, Mg, and Ca sulfonates. Also antioxidants, corrosion inhibitors, and polyolefin ester. These sound like ingredients for an oil additive more than assembly lube. I think it was relabeled for legal reasons.

[ March 18, 2005, 04:00 AM: Message edited by: ebaker ]

quote:

Originally posted by ebaker:
EOS also contains a lot of detergents/ dispersants, Na, Mg, and Ca sulfonates. Also antioxidants, corrosion inhibitors, and polyolefin ester. These sound like ingredients for an oil additive more than assembly lube. I think it was relabeled for legal reasons.

Yeah kind of like the "High Mileage" oils being IMHO a cover for just a good oil w/o CAFE considerations.

Maybe it is time to visit my local Chevy dealership.
wink.gif

The ingredient list indicates it is a majority mineral oil, with DIPHENYLAMINE thrown in for antioxidation and PAO for pour point consideratons. The rest is ZDDP, with detegents and dispersant s of calcium, Barium, and magnesium.

Molakule,

Considering what you've told us about the GM EOS, is there anything in there that would potentially cause problems if this was used in 1 to 2 ounce per quart measures?

Do you see any VII's?

Thanks for your help on this,

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back