Castrol Syntec 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, Advance Auto Parts finally got in the newly released Castrol Syntec 5w-20, and I just had to get some to play around with. Sent a sample to Blackstone on April 24th, and just got the results back yesterday. Once again, Blackstone refers to this oil as a "5w-30" in several places on the report, just like they did with the GTX and Syntec Blend samples I sent in before.
dunno.gif

Anyway, I went ahead and re-posted the Syntec Blend and GTX 5w-20 results so that it's easier to compare the three packages. I found the numbers interesting.

Syntec 5w-20 / Syntec Blend 5w-20 / GTX 5w-20

Aluminum 1 / 0 / 0
Chromium 0 / 0 / 0
Iron 1 / 1 / 1
Copper 0 / 0 / 0
Lead 0 / 0 / 0
Tin 0 / 0 / 0
Molybdenum 44 / 102 / 97
Nickel 0 / 0 / 0
Manganese 0 / 0 / 0
Silver 0 / 0 / 0
Titanium 0 / 0 / 0
Potassium 0 / 0 / 0
Boron 2 / 0 / 0
Silicon 2 / 6 / 6
Sodium 1 / 1 / 1
Calcium 1994 / 2253 / 2201
Magnesium 9 / 2 / 3
Phosphorus 667 / 722 / 700
Zinc 722 / 847 / 819
Barium 0 / 0 / 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210*F 55.3 / 55.5 / 55.5
Flashpoint in *F 425 / 415 / 415
Water 0 / 0 / 0
Insolubles % 0.0 / TR / TR

Needless to say, I'm very curious to see how my UOA turns out with the Syntec. Unfortunately, I was never able to get UOA's for the Syntec Blend or GTX. My driven mileage and patience level simply don't get along.
gr_eek2.gif

Z-

[ May 01, 2004, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: ZiTS ]

Thanks for the report. Interesting to see the Moly levels higher on the blend. The 20wts are doing a nice job and I think you'll do well with any of them.

LOL,
Geez, you're quick Buster. I was still editing the post when you made your reply.

Yeah, I found it interesting as well that the Syntec Blend appears to have more additives than the Syntec. To my VERY uneducated eye, from the results, it would appear that the Syntec is a more "solid" oil (hence the higher flashpoint and no insolubles), while the Blend and GTX have more additives. I guess that could be due to manufacturing/analysis error though.
dunno.gif

cheers.gif

doesn't impress me. Just seems they added a lil something to the 20wt syntec. Ill take my mobil 1 0w20 or get some synergen 0w20 over the syntec anyday. The gtx is nice for a quick break in interval though, and im glad i used it for my second interval.

am I reading something wrong, or is the syntec/syntec blend not really more compelling than just the normal GTX?

quote:

am I reading something wrong, or is the syntec/syntec blend not really more compelling than just the normal GTX?

You're reading it right. That is why I'm "hoping" that the base oil for the Syntec is a better built oil than what's used in the Blend and GTX. Sorta what I was getting at with the "higher flashpoint and no insolubles" comment. Then again, maybe that's also why lesser amounts of additives are used. Otherwise, it would seem to be all marketing. Heck, I honestly don't know. To me, it would at least seem that "premium" synthetic oil should have the most additives, similar to the thinking that "premium" gasoline should be the best. However, we all know the word "premium" doesn't necessarily designate anything close to that.

Someone commented in another thread that VOA's are really only good for comparing to a UOA. I'm starting to agree.
frown.gif

Z-

[ May 02, 2004, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: ZiTS ]

OK guys, refresh my memory - exactly what is it that causes the GC to have that distinctive smell? Because whatever it is, there is some of it in the 5w-20. Granted, I've only ever smelled the GC 0w-30 and 5w-20 Syntec bottles (
freak2.gif
), so I'm not sure if all of the Syntec grades smell alike, but the 5w-20 does smell similar to the GC, only to a lesser degree.

[ May 03, 2004, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: ZiTS ]

quote:

OK guys, refresh my memory - exactly what is it that causes the GC to have that distinctive smell?

The unanimous and unequvical determiniation here on BITOG is that the aroma is due to 12,000 ppm of Gummy Bears.
shocked.gif

Just perusing some older posts that I somehow missed and noticed this one. I've been very tempted to try the Syntec Blend 5w-20 and this post has rekindled that interest. Although I must agree that in this report, the plain ol' GTX 5w-20 looks like the real bargain of the bunch. This would be especially true if pior BITOG concensus, that 5w-20s are partially GIII base stocks, hold true.

ive been using the syntec 5w20 for a 1000 miles in my 03 f150...5.4l.....so far the mpg's are running roughly 15 miles per tank less in comparison to pennzoil 5w20....engine seems quieter w/ syntec, runs a little smoother.....my wife has an 02 expedition w/ a 5.4....shes using mobile 1, 0w20 and pure one oil filters....she gained 25 miles per tank w/ the mobile 1 over the pennzoil 5w20....i may be switching to mobile 1 after this run....

So is the syntec 5w-20 a good oil too use then ??

I can get the oil for $19 for 5 quarts.

TIA

Seems like the add package(at least that detectable from VOA) is basically the same accross the board. With GTX using Group II oils and the Syntec using Group III, It would be very hard to say the Syntec is worth the premium.

Way to revive a zombie thread, Pro3qtr.
And, uh.... we've never seen evidence of any Syntec being a BAD oil. We've seen evidence that one of them is a very GOOD oil. Do we have any Syntec 5W20 UOA? I'll check.
T-Keith: based on this VOA, yeah, it's not real impressive. The only possible save might be if it has something special in the base stock or an additive that is really neat but not tested for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back