Castrol Syntec 10w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new stuff (10W-30) is A5.
smile.gif

From looking at the new specs, it appears that Castrol has put some effort into improving the new Syntec Blend and Syntec oils. If the Syntec viscosity is higher than, or the same as, Mobil 1 (10W-30), I am gonna try this stuff as soon as I use up my case of Pennz dino.

I still think its overpriced for a group3.

But, I think that Syntec was overly maligned for being a group3 to begin with.
Too much hearsay saying this oil is bad, but I personally have never seen engines fail with Castrol GTX or Syntec that were properly maintained.

rolleyes.gif
:Motorbike says: Looking at the data sheet of the 10w-40 though it should use much less vi improvers than other 10-40's and prove to be fairly stable in terms of shear. I for one used Syntec 10/30 in my truck for 135000 mi and it ran great never used any oil. So why would I want to buy 10/40 with more polymers.The 5000 OCI works great. I thought about using M1 in my new car or Amsoil 10/30. So I will try 1 OC and test at 5000 with Blackstone. I have about 4000 on my 10/30 Syntec now will drain and test in another 1000.It liked mt Nissan truck so it should really like my SE-R.
lol.gif

Quote:

I for one used Syntec 10/30 in my truck for 135000 mi and it ran great never used any oil. So why would I want to buy 10/40 with more polymers.

I don't know...you tell me
tongue.gif

Your post does not make sense to me but I would think this oil might be a good choice for anyone that desired to try a light 40wt with better basestocks than plain dino for a summer trip or had an engine that needs this type oil for whatever reason that could be many , too many to list .

This might be another reason if it's accurate

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=313674&page=4

quote:

Originally posted by dropitby:
rolleyes.gif
:Motorbike says: Looking at the data sheet of the 10w-40 though it should use much less vi improvers than other 10-40's and prove to be fairly stable in terms of shear. I for one used Syntec 10/30 in my truck for 135000 mi and it ran great never used any oil. So why would I want to buy 10/40 with more polymers.The 5000 OCI works great. I thought about using M1 in my new car or Amsoil 10/30. So I will try 1 OC and test at 5000 with Blackstone. I have about 4000 on my 10/30 Syntec now will drain and test in another 1000.It liked mt Nissan truck so it should really like my SE-R.
lol.gif

I look forward to seeing your 10W-30 Syntec uoa. Please post.

I think the 10W-40 looks very good and certain engines may like it a little better.

I looks to be very stable and since it's a very thin 40wt, I doubt polymers is an issue.

frown.gif
Motorbike Im sorry about my post it was not directed at you. I read somewhere on this site that some dealers would void your warrenty if you used 10/40.
dunno.gif

(((The stuff smells like sweet detergent )))

Motor bike, that's a key sign we may not be dealing with a simple group 3 dino.

I'm actually wondering if this base oil comes from the same as the R4 mc oil

R4 smells like plastic , if that resembles sweet detergent maybe same base oil. I have to get me a bottle of the syntec

Now Syntec 10W-40 meets API SM specs so this version may be hard to find. I have high-temperature tested the 10W-40 SM version and it performed nearly indentically to Gold GC in terms of volatility and resistance to thermal breakdown and deposit formation. That is good news. I'm currently running a mix of Gold GC and SM version 10W-40 Syntec.

offtopic.gif
minor off topic thing here. someone on page 1 of this thread mentioned something about sludging problems with the 0w30. can anyone clarify this for me?

If the comment applied to the crappy, old American version 0W-30, maybe, but who cares since none of us buy that anymore. If it applied to GC 0W-30, it's balogne. As I said above, I tested Gold GC, 10W-40 SM version Syntec; also tested many other top synthetics of different viscosities, and these two Castrol products were very stable (see above for what "stable" means) when subjected to very high temperatures for several hours. In particular, the 10W-40 Syntec was actually more stable than Mobil 1 0W-40 and Valvoline 5W-40. Gold GC was about equal to Mobil 1 10W-30 EP in these tests.
I want to see a VOA on the SM 10W-40! I think the zinc/phosphorus levels have probably dropped a lot, but alternative anti-wear additives have probably been increased. SM oil VOA's don't tell us as much as they used to. It's still reassuring to see them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back