Castrol Syntec 10w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I saw the data sheet on this oil change along with the label I thought I would send this in to see what it's about . I like the relatively low Vi at 100c . The stuff smells like sweet detergent . I think this would make a great choice in oil for many cars especially in the summer months . It's a ACEA A3-B3 and ISLAC GF-3 oil which I like and has other ratings as well .

Iron 0
Aluminum 2
Sodium 3

Moly 61
Boron 66
Magnesium 13
Calcium 3451
Phos 1004
Zinc 1133
Silicone 12
Vi 40c 85.4
Vi 100c 13.1
VI Index 154
TAN 1.90
TBN 10.98

So how would this compare to the Belgium 5w-40 that Castrol has?? Are they even remotely similar? What are the pro's and con's of both the 10w-40 and the 5w-40? Also, for one last question: what would be some ideal engines for both oils???

(Sorry about so many questions..I'm trying to learn)

quote:

Originally posted by ToyotaNSaturn:
LOTS of calcium and a respectable TBN. What's TAN?

TAN stands for Total Acid Number in the lubricant . To measure the total amount of acid " increase above baseline " is another way of indicating oil oxidation or contamination of the oil with an acidic product .

Silverado , thats alot of answers you ask for there
smile.gif
I'll try to answer some of them tommorrow best I can .

quote:

Originally posted by Silverado:
So how would this compare to the Belgium 5w-40 that Castrol has?? Are they even remotely similar? What are the pro's and con's of both the 10w-40 and the 5w-40? Also, for one last question: what would be some ideal engines for both oils???

(Sorry about so many questions..I'm trying to learn)

Lets stick with your 383 , where you live the 10w-40 Syntec would be a very good summer oil although the 5w-40 would work well too and year round at that especially since you have posted you drive primarily short city trips . These are lighter vi 40wts more suitable for your hydraulic lifters . The vi at 40c for both oils is lighter than Delvac 1 for example making for a better stop n go gasoline engine oil IMO .

Which of those Castrols are better ? You would just have to put them in your engine and see although the 5w-40 uses superior basestocks . Would it make a difference at 5-6k miles ? I sure don't know . Looking at the data sheet of the 10w-40 though it should use much less vi improvers than other 10-40's and prove to be fairly stable in terms of shear . Probably better than other 5w-40 group III's if you leave Mobil , the Belgium Castrol and possibly the Chevron HD 5w-40 out of the picture .

Motorbike, I sincerely thank you for your in depth responses in regards to the Castrol Syntec. I tend to over-analyze most things (as probably 99.9% of this board does) and am coming to the realization that there are probably many good choices of oil for my application. I think I'm beginning to get a realistic prospective of oils in general and have the knowledge to make an informed decision. (thanks to you) I might just give this oil a try
smile.gif

I just found that the Syntec line-up uses group III as we know it along with Shells XHVI 5.2 Slack Wax and PAO basestocks .

This oil is not the average non fully PAO Synthetic it seems .

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
I just found that the Syntec line-up uses group III as we know it along with Shells XHVI 5.2 Slack Wax and PAO basestocks .

This oil is not the average non fully PAO Synthetic it seems .

This stuff looks killer! I just hope it is alright in weather down to 0 degrees F. May have to do a freezer test
tongue.gif
The additive package and viscosity look fantastic!

Im currently running this oil in a '92 BMW 325i. A UOA is a long way off because the car sees less than 10,000 miles a year and I intend on changing it no earlier than 8,000. I did a freezer test and it pours no better or worse than conventional Pennzoil 10W-30 at 0F. Since it never gets that cold in this part of the world, and it does get over 100F in the summer, there is no reason not to use it all year.

The 5-40 grade mentioned is not commonly available in the US and I only use widely available OTC products. I chose 10W-40 over 5W-50 because I was worried about the stability of 5W-50 over a slightly extended drain interval.

The viscosity being on the low side of 40 may explain why I have elevated oil consumption compared to Chevron Delo 15W-40. Fuel mileage is unchanged, a slight disappointment. Where did you see ISLAC GF-3? I do not see that rating on the bottle.

[ February 10, 2004, 02:59 PM: Message edited by: Jimbo ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jimbo:

The 5-40 grade mentioned is not commonly available in the US and I only use widely available OTC products.

It's a fixing to be everywhere , the new 5w-40 Syntec that is . It's on the East coast in Autozones now I have read here .

The meeting of the ISLAC GF-3 spec is on the new 10w-40 bottles . It has been reformulated . The new 5w-40 meets that spec too .

These oils do not have that plastic feel another OTC synthetic does . You know , the oil that protects itself
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Do you guys know if the 5w-40 has had sludging issues similar to the 0w-30?

Entirely a different formulation/basestocks I believe . I really doubt there would be any issues with the 5w-40 . Analysis showed a very clean Chevy Impala engine using the 5w-50 Castrol interval after interval at 5k and longer drains .

Well, I like the low vis @ 100, so I just put it in my 383 stroker. This oil (syntec 10w-40) will be replacing the German 0w-30......so look out for another 0w-30 UOA. The smell is great by the way! Hopefully it will hold up well, and we'll see how the 0w-30 did in a couple days.

Motorbike, I'm going to do a uoa on my M1 soon, just to make sure my engine is ok. (No coolant leaks or other problems).

I may refill with this one and give it a good run with the same mileage if everything is ok.

I was thinking about going back to a blend, but this looks too interesting not to try.

I like everything I see about this package, so we'll see how it work for real.

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
This link was just posted by another member of BITOG.

If I liked this 10w-40 before , I like it even more now .

Delvac 1 is tested against the Syntec 10w-40 . Take a peek at the TGA scan results . Eye opening kinda sorta
smile.gif

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=313674&page=4

Being a layman, do those reults indicate that Syntec 10w-40 might be good for cars that consume oil from volatility?

Can someone post / email the Castrol product data sheet for this stuff?

I am intrigued, as it does not appear to be much thicker than many Hi-mile 10W-30s. Maybe a good choice for a higher mileage engine that specs 10W-30?

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
Can someone post / email the Castrol product data sheet for this stuff?

SL/CF A3/B3
LTCV < 7000 -25c " less than "
HT/HS 3.8
Flash Point 450F
Pour Point -33c

From the Castrol site :
SAE 10W-40: often used with older cars. Exceeds all car and light truck manufacturer's warranty requirements for the protection of gasoline, diesel and turbocharged engines where API SL, SJ, SH, CF or CD is recommended. Exceeds European ACEA: A3, ACEA B3, meets Japanese valve train wear, VW T4 and the engine protection requirements of GM 4718M, ILSAC GF-3 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils, as well as Porsche, Volvo, BMW and Mercedes Benz.

[ March 11, 2004, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Is that viscosity correct? That seems like it is on the thin side for a 10W-40.

I'm REALLY thinking about using this oil in my 5.0 Ford. Any reason why this would not work well in PA year-round? Do we know if Catrol Syntec 10W-30 has the same additive package in a lower viscosity oil?

[ March 11, 2004, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: novadude ]

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
Is that viscosity correct? That seems like it is on the thin side for a 10W-40.

I'm REALLY thinking about using this oil in my 5.0 Ford. Any reason why this would not work well in PA year-round? Do we know if Catrol Syntec 10W-30 has the same additive package in a lower viscosity oil?

The 10W-30 is GF-3, energy conserving and only ACEA A1. That tells me the additive package is quite different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back