MICHELIN Optimum XT Wiper Blades

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, looking for some new beam style(my favorite)wiper blades at Walmart, I came across these "NEW" wiper blades from Mixhelin, "OPTIMUM XT". They're right next to all of the other blades including other Michelin models in the auto section.

I was looking for my usual favorite "Rain-X Latitude" when I spotted the "Optimum XT" and figured I'd give'em a try. They are a Walmart exclusive according to some info I found on the web.

Before I rip open the packaging, has onyone here tried them? If so, how do you like'em?
They're only .50c le$$ than the R-X Lats and the R-X Lats seem to tear easily which is why I am trying a new brand. Otherwise, I have been super satisfied with the R-X Lats, as well as the similar R-X Repel/Horizon( sold in other markets).

Some may ask, "if you're happy w/R-X, why are you switching"?
I'm not switching, I am trying/experimenting due to some tearing issues with the R-X.

Last edited:
Every Michelin blade I've tried has dried out in under a year. I've had better luck with Bosch and Rain X. But let us know how they perform. I don't really have any brand preference for wipers....they've all disappointed me at some point, LOL

My last set of refills I got at Walmart made in China for $3.38 a blade almost a month ago. The others have all dried out in less than a year and are 4 times or more money. We'll see how long these last. But so far they are quiet no dragging and clear my windshield very well.

This is true.. the michelin from walmart only seem to last 6-7 months and then they dry out.. start skipping, squeaking. But at $5.87/blade. It's still cheaper than the bosch excel+ I usually like. But those do last longer.

Guess you'll have to be the test subject and see how long these optimum XT last.. might be a different compound than the normal michelins.. we hope!

Michelin and all the other cheap Pylon-made wipers are no good.

Trico makes the best wipers. And Walmart now has US-made Trico Ultra wipers, which is what I would buy if I was going to pay that much ($18). The Trico Flex is also a very good wiper, about $12 at Walmart.

I have bought several sets of the Michelin Wiper blades sold by Costco here in the UK.

They seem decent enough and have a rubber cover that covers the blade making, if you peak into back they are just standard metal frames.

They are cheap though.

I have also bought the Michelin branded rubber mats for a couple of our cars. I trimmed them to fit better in the 2014 Picanto.

After nearly 2 years in that car, which my wife used for work in the Home Care field so basically her “workplace” and they have no signs of wear.

I suspect our weather and amount of sunshine is a little less than many US States

Will be sending a set of Mats/super blades and a boot mat over to Ghana’s for the Pilot, will be interesting to see if we have the same issues with the wiper blades as those based in the US.

They are branded Stealth Hybrid in the UK.

https://gb.michelin-lifestyle.com/en/promotions/uk-wiper-blades

Originally Posted By: bigjl
I suspect our weather and amount of sunshine is a little less than many US States

True, but the Pacific NW with British Columbia are a very close match

I know one who had just put those wipers on and we got rain this week. He says right off the bat, streaking. Go figure

Originally Posted By: Y_K

Yes we get a lot of wipe hours and windshield wash time here that is loaded with wiper killing liquid!

The best ones Ive found so far are the cheap "3M" blades at Home Depot. I forget who actually makes them but they last about 6-8 months before streaking whereas I get maybe half that on my expensive blades.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: Y_K

Yes we get a lot of wipe hours and windshield wash time here that is loaded with wiper killing liquid!

These new Michelin OPTIMUM XT state on the pkg that they've been tested for over 1.5 million wipes. That doesn't mean much to me as each swing of the wiper arm is 2 wiped(1 up/1 down).

Thank you all!
Listening to the comments here, I may in fact return the Michelin OPT XT's and get my trusty Rain-X Latitudes for .50 cents more. AAP has R-X Lats on sale w/rebate but, it'd only be about the same price as W*M. However, I will probably finagle some AAP code# and some Speed Perks which will inturn, make the deal a bit sweeter.

Update:
I have returned the unopened pkgs of Michelin Optimum XT wiper blades(a Walmart* exclusive) to W*M.
After reviewing/researching on the web, most Michelin wiper blades are at the lower end of the test scoaring, if they're reviewed at all. So, for .50¢/ea. I bought my favorite and waaaaay higher rated blades the Rain-X Latitude.

Created an account just to say - I picked up a pair of the Optimum XT blades for my Toyota and the 26" streaked as soon as I put it on. I exchanged it for another one but the replacement is nearly as bad. Surprising that Michelin would put their brand on this junk.

The best wiper I have used to date is the Rain‑X Latitude I bought at Walmart. 3 years in miserable NE winters and hot summer and still going strong. I was hesitant to buy them rain X? Really? None of the majors fit the VW mounting very well these did, I am glad I bought them now they are on everything with the same result.

I have used them all Icons, Trico, Michelin, Anco, PIAA silicone you name it and these are by far the best and one of the cheapest of the major brands. Michelin and Trico were the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back