SAAB Turbo Synthetic Blend 5W-30 (ACEA A1/B1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

J

Hi,

This is Saab Turbo Synthetic Blend 5W-30 oil
which only meets ACEA A1/B1.

Lab is Blackstone labs. This oil is regular
service oil for all Saabs which pre-date 2003
model year. We suspect that this oil is made
by Mobil. Your comments are appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Component Measured Expected

Aluminum 0 (0)
Chromium 0 (0)
Iron 1 (1)
Copper 0 (0)
Lead 0 (0)
Tin 0 (0)
Molybdenum 0 (0)
Nickel 0 (0)
Manganese 0 (0)
Silver 0 (0)
Titanium 0 (0)
Potassium 0 (0)
Boron 0 (56)
Silicon 4 (19)
Sodium 2 (31)
Calcium 2734 (555)
Magnesium 261 (80)
Phosphorus 1094 (743)
Zinc 1135 (410)
Barium 0 (24)
SUS Vis @ 210 °F 58.7 (56, 63)
Flashpoint 430 °F > 365 °F

TBN 11.0

Blackstone comments:

JAE: The additive group in this oil is sufficiently heavy for use in a diesel. Normally oils used in gas engines don’t run at these levels. Zinc, for instance usually reads at about 900ppm. The oil has typical viscosity for a 5W/30 and was found to be clean and dry. No significant metals present. The TBN was 11.0, high for an oil intended for use in a gas engine. This oil should serve your needs well.

-

oil analysis

cheers.gif

Jae

[ March 29, 2003, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: J ]

J,
Too bad we don't have any Mobil semi syn VOAs to compare it to. I find their comments interesting, as the bottle only says "for gasoline" but the A3/B3 "version" of this oil says "for gasoline and diesel."

Hey Jase,

I sent the PDF of this analysis to your
e-mail address you-know-where.

canada.gif
banghead.gif
freak2.gif
gr_eek2.gif

There is no logic to the emoticons. I just
like these four in particular.

grin.gif
cheers.gif

Jae

This is another sleeper oil found the Saab Dealer .

That 261 ppm of Magnesium and aproximately 450ppm additional Zinc over what we'll see in the new low cost API SM-GF-4 oils will make this oil a very viable option for many seeing there is a Saab dealer in every major city .

Single quart pricing of most the dino's are 2 bucks now . This oil is around 10 bucks for a 4 liter jug , a pretty good deal .

That Saab 0w-30 I used in my Mothers 4.6 Ford is some really good oil . 17.40 for a 4 liter jug is the current rate for it .

Thanks for this analysis , I would never have known about the 0w-30 Saab oil if you had not posted the VOA so thanks again
cheers.gif

[ February 07, 2004, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Bump
smile.gif

I just got back from the Saab Dealer with the newest version of this oil .

It still says Synthetic Blend engine oil for everyday use . Suitable for gasoline passenger vehicles , with or without turbo .

But...... it now says GB Contains Molybedenum Alkyl Thiocarbamide on the label and has a SJ rating and is made in EU .

It's in a steel gray colored Mobil shaped bottle and was 9.70 for a 4 liter jug .

Are we missing out on a great 5-6k oil for many cars here ? If the TBN is still stout like the above oil it will or probably reign supreme over the 2 buck a quart Walmart 5w-30's .

What say ye ?
smile.gif

Excuse me while I try to find the typical data sheet on this oil
tongue.gif

But...... it now says GB Contains Molybedenum Alkyl Thiocarbamide on the label and has a SJ rating and is made in EU ...

...and yet another additve, more mystery and syllables we must assimilate and articulate!
banghead.gif

J,
Is it possible to post somehow bottle's photo ? You know, it's quite strange that the oil made in Europe for SAAB and supplied to the US differs in grade with that supplied in Europe, i.e. SAAB 0W-30. May be you get relabled 0W-30 ?

The reason this oil is so stout is cause the 9-5 absolutely rapes its oil. Funny though that this doesn't meet the specs for my 01 9-5 as SAAB at that time called for a A3 spec oil. Though now that I think about it they said use "saab turbo oil or an ACEA A3 oil."
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back