Visiting Chicago Today thru Sunday. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: john_pifer
What about coffeehouses? Any favorite/unique places?

link1
link2

Hope it helps.

+1 on Bridgeport coffee, they roast their own beans off site.

A TV show called Chicago's Best will guide you to plenty of good places.

Originally Posted By: Jooksing

+1 on Bridgeport coffee, they roast their own beans off site.

A TV show called Chicago's Best will guide you to plenty of good places.

When I was in Chicago for work, I liked Hero Coffee next to the Harold Washington Library L stop in the loop. It reminded of the coffee shops I'm used to in the Bay Area(Blue Bottle/Ritual).

Didn't Intellgentsia get their start in Chicago before JAB bought them and Peet's in San Francisco?

Having a great time so far.

Ended up doing a great 13-mile run Thursday night while waiting for my friend to arrive in town, starting from around the 31st St. Beach, heading north, up the lakeshore, then took a left at the Chicago River and ran down the riverfront. Ended up at the decommissioned railroad drawbridge - that’s where I turned around.

Friday, we hit Sears Tower, then Portillo’s for beef for lunch, then did the Chicago Architectural Society boat tour down the river, which was fun.

This morning was her race - the Cinco de Miler 8K. I “paced” her for the last couple of miles. Now I think we’ll head down to the Maxwell St. area and grab some polish sausage & peppers sandwiches. Then, if we have time, the Museum of Science & Industry.

We’ll probably hit up Giordano’s Pizza for dinner.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, fellas!

On Sunday so the open flea market is still going on the east side of the highway and Roosevelt. You can grab some pretty good tacos. Glad you are having fun.

+1 for calling it Sears Tower
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Jooksing
+1 for calling it Sears Tower
grin.gif

Oh yah, forget that Willis nonsense.

Sounds like the OPer was having a great visit and I thought his choices for activities were spot on. I wish I had a better place to recommend for stuffed pizza than Giordano's, it's better than Pizza Hut but I can't say they have truly great pizza. Uno/Dua, Malnati's, and Gino's East are all great places, but not uniquely Chicago pizza places for me. My favorite for stuffed pizza was, of course, a little family owned place in Skokie where I grew up, but it closed when I was still in high school (talking Reagan years here).

BTW, most people only think of the Cubbies as far as Chicago baseball is concerned, but much more of the area of Illinois is White Sox territory than Cubs. Most of the area south and west of Chicago will tend to lean ChiSox and southern IL is truly Cards territory with the real baseball fans often picking up the Sox as their AL team.

Last edited:
How about those Cardinals this weekend
smile.gif

Go Cards!

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

BTW, most people only think of the Cubbies as far as Chicago baseball is concerned, but much more of the area of Illinois is White Sox territory than Cubs. Most of the area south and west of Chicago will tend to lean ChiSox and southern IL is truly Cards territory with the real baseball fans often picking up the Sox as their AL team.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
smile.gif

Go Cards!

I was preoccupied with my daughter's softball all weekend and had to look it up...jeez, did they lay a whomping on the Cubbies. And two wins against the ChiSox right before that, both 3-2 and then the same score for the first Cubs game. A dark week for Chicago baseball, 0-5 to the Cards!!
I can't say I was a huge fan of Herzog's Cards team when I was at Wash U, but I couldn't argue with their success and loved to watch Jack Clark hit. StL is the best baseball town which I've lived in or near and that's saying something with Boston and Chicago also on that roster...I need to check out the "new" stadium one of these years.
I wore a Cards hat on and off for a few years because of Big Mac and have mixed feelings about that now.

Some of the best fans in baseball here. With a few exceptions (looking at you Brandon Phillips) the STL fan base will cheer an opposing player when they make an exceptional play.

The new ballpark is very nice. It's a dozen years old now, so don't know how new it is. If you find the video of the storm here in 2006 where trashcans were being blown about by the wind, oilBabe and I were at that game. They still hadn't sorted out where everyone would go in a storm. (How did they open the place?) But we all survived and there are some scary youTube videos of the havoc that ensued.

I wouldn't put too much stock on the results. While it's fun to rib my Cubbie fan friends, I know the Cardinals were playing above their level and the Cubs are not living up to their talent right now.

As I told someone else, just because we've swept the Red 2x's doesn't mean much, after losing the next 4 out 6 in games after a 4 game sweep.

So I'm not betting big sums on the Cardinals at this point. Some key injuries in the series with the Cubs will make the next 2-4 weeks interesting. Might get to see some of the farm team talent.

Now that's always fun. Take a trip to Memphis and see the AAA farm team play before and after some time on Beale Street.

Nothing like seeing talent like Kolten Wong, Michael Wacha and others in AAA before they get the call up to the bigs.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
smile.gif

Go Cards!

I was preoccupied with my daughter's softball all weekend and had to look it up...jeez, did they lay a whomping on the Cubbies. And two wins against the ChiSox right before that, both 3-2 and then the same score for the first Cubs game. A dark week for Chicago baseball, 0-5 to the Cards!!
I can't say I was a huge fan of Herzog's Cards team when I was at Wash U, but I couldn't argue with their success and loved to watch Jack Clark hit. StL is the best baseball town which I've lived in or near and that's saying something with Boston and Chicago also on that roster...I need to check out the "new" stadium one of these years.
I wore a Cards hat on and off for a few years because of Big Mac and have mixed feelings about that now.

...The new ballpark is very nice. It's a dozen years old now, so don't know how new it is. If you find the video of the storm here in 2006 where trashcans were being blown about by the wind, oilBabe and I were at that game. They still hadn't sorted out where everyone would go in a storm. (How did they open the place?) But we all survived and there are some scary youTube videos of the havoc that ensued.

This makes me think of a Rangers game at their first park back in the early '90s...hot, sunny, humid day when we noticed some really black clouds off to the West. Didn't think too much of it until the game was suddenly postponed with the blazing sun still out and the grounds crew rushed out with the tarp...figured there must be something bad on radar.
Just when they almost got the tarp spread out, a HUGE gust of wind hit and picked it up! It really looked like the tarp was going to go into the stands and land on the crowd, but the wind died down just as suddenly as it kicked up and the crew got it back under control. I can't even imagine the chaos of dozens of people trapped under a tarp that size...
That was enough of an omen for me, so we headed down under the stands...it was already pretty crowded down there, but we were able to take shelter. Then, POW, the wind hits again and brings rain with it...before long it's thundering like crazy. There wasn't enough room under the stands for everybody and people got trapped in the tunnels between those of us who had already fled and people still trying to push to get under the stands even though there was no room...it rained hard enough that those poor folks basically had waterfalls pouring down on them. Lasted maybe 10 minutes, but it was a trip to the water park for part of the crowd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back