"danger" of blending M1 0W-40 & 0W-20 EP??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pbm
PS: Every time you change your oil to a different brand you are 'mixing' due to left over in the engine...

And one of the recorded mess ups from mixing that lead to damage of a fleet of vehicles was exactly that scenario...the left over factory fill oil didn't play well with the first oil change, and lost it's cold temperature performance, all the way to room temperature.

Originally Posted By: pbm
My new Ford 2.5 takes 5.7 quarts....I doubt that adding .7 quart of Mobil 1 0w30 AFE ($2 a quart at AZ) to a 5 quart jug of AFE 0w20 would do any harm....it might even improve an already great oil.....It also saves me from buying a single quart of AFE 0w20.

OK, your claim, your proof.

What to you surmise MIGHT be improved in the mix of two licenced lubricants ?

It would seem pretty fruitless to save a dollar and have to put it through the raft of API and ACEA tests so that you could even claim that it "meets SN".

How would/could it improve it, and through what mechanism ?

It COULD just be the magical blend that they lube the gimbals on the hubble telescope, but neither you nor I know that for a fact.

I said it 'might' rather than 'would' improve the 0w20 AFE and I was referring to making it slightly thicker. The Ford Duratec is Mazda MZR based and that engine originally spec'd 5w30 so I doubt the slight boost in viscosity will hurt anything. I wouldn't go mixing different brands (unless I was in a pinch) but mixing two Mobil products called AFE doesn't seem too daring.

At any rate, the main reason I would make this mix is not to 'improve' the 0w20 but to use the 0w30 which I got for very little money.

PS: Here in the states we can get a 5 qt. jug of M1 AFE for $26 dollars (even less on 'Rollback') but the single quarts are $9 so capacities above 5 qts. require some 'ingenuity' sometimes....

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Many on here have stated that there WILL BE a problem with mixing these two Mobil 1 oils, due to their supposedly radically different detergent packs.

WHAT is the actual/REAL danger involved?
Do their DPs 'clash', or just render one another ineffective, raise TAN levels, or WHAT?

What is the worst case scenario for an OCI with these oils mixed in not even a 50/50 blend (like a 70/30 blend either way)?

Not to worry,I am pro-mixing, infact I just became one due to having to top off on an extended drain full syn Valv 5w-30 topped off or mixed with 1 quart of PEnnzoil 10-30 yellow bottle aka PYB. The results have been so fantastic and here are my results. THe engine is hybrid-turnedoff-when-idling quiet. And better FE, as I have mentioned I am getting 19.1 where before I only saw 17.5 to 17.9 ish. Also, better pickup off the line and once you get going! The primary chemicals used in Valv is Sodium and no moly while the PYB uses moly and little sodium or NA. I think it's not a clash but a complement. I am now unsure if I should use the same Valv synthetic + PYB go 10-30 Val full syn or a mix of that with 1 quart PYB.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
A million mixers with a million bottles might just stumble across the perfect lube for the gimbal mechanism on the hubbble telescope.

But you would never know...

Balance of probabilities is that a mix is likely inferior in some way to it's parents (there are a LOT of things in a certification programme, any one of which could be compromised).

Looks likely not...unless Castrol are buying and brewing...
https://www.castrol.com/en_gb/united-kin..._prclt=LOEvnMNv

Quote:
A suite of sensitive scientific instruments on-board Insight, will explore beneath the surface of Mars - measuring the planet's "vital signs" including: its "pulse" (seismology), "temperature" (heat flow), and "reflexes" (precision tracking).
NASA has confirmed that Castrol Braycote will be used to lubricate a range of Insight’s instruments, including its seismometer and mole.

edit..added data sheet

https://www.2spi.com/catalog/documents/451695_US_en.pdf

Last edited:
I bet my arm there's not an issue mixing these oils.

But also bet my arm holding a $100 bill you wouldn't be making a better lube.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Interesting topic. I'm planning to do the M1 0w40 EF/0w20 EP mix for winter oil in the Camaro. But I don't recall reading any specific criticisms of it on BITOG. Mostly I'm doing this to get a high VI 0w30. M1 0w30 AFE doesn't really have all that good a VI for 0w30.

^^^BINGO!! Even though seeking a high VI is sinful to some on here, the 0W-30 AFE's is pitifully LOW (to me at least) at 166.
frown.gif

I also want to keep the TBN high(er), and (yet another sacrilege on here it seems) keep a high(er) PAO base stock content.

Finally, the AFE's HTHSV is a little bit lower (3.0) than what I want, yes, even for the winter OCI.
wink.gif

OH, a resurrected thread. For the record, I did do the M1 0w40 EF/0w20 EP mix for the winter of 2015-16, and the car ran fine. And when I drained the oil in the spring, it came out in a uniform stream of fluid, not in globs.

If HTHS around 3.5 is desired, maybe Castrol 0W30 A3/B4 would fit the bill?

Or be brave and try a C3 0W30, and also get a VI of 204 with the Pennzoil Euro LX?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back