Amsoil 5W-20 Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

I just got mine in from a UOA of 5500mi....

It's still almost new! I wonder how long I should go on the next change?

Amsoil 5W-20

TBN=10.10

Aluminum 8
Chromium 1
Iron 12
Copper 5
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 104
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 0
Boron 48
Silicon 20
Sodium 0
Calcium 2133
Magnesium 168
Phosphorus 878
Zinc 980
Barium 0

0.2% fuel
8.16 vis @100c

SOMETHING'S fishy with that report/post - those numbers don't look like ANY *I* have ever seen in an Amsoil sample - especially the inclusion of Moly and the high Boron count - Silicon is WAY off the wall as well.

mr2guru,

Welcome aboard!
THANK YOU for posting your UOA. We do appreciate it.
Do us a favor, though.
Submit a NEW POST in the forum named "Used Oil Analysis - Gas Engines".

In that post, please also describe your car by brand/model/model year, its engine size, how many months this sample was in, and your car's mileage on the day you took your sample.
In the subject line, please put car make/model/year, motor oil brand/viscosity, mileage on oil and months on oil.
You'll get better responses that way.
Once again, thanks for sharing the UOA. We need all we can get.
Also, I see your profile says you're in the military. Thanks for serving!

This doesn't look very good at all, as far as AW goes. Very little moly, phosphorus or zinc. Why buy this when delo is a II+ and has double or more the AW adds?

from C.O. Jones:

quote:

This doesn't look very good at all, as far as AW goes. Very little moly, phosphorus or zinc.

Can you elaborate on why you have related this to us? When does an oil become "good" in your opinion? What levels of additives?

quote:

Why buy this when delo is a II+ and has double or more the AW adds?

They make a DELO 5W-20 that is API SM? Cool!!! Does it produce great UOA numbers like the other 5W-20s?

Yes, it's been lowered since it went GF-4 and SM.
smile.gif

SOme engines have alot of uptake! My Camry's 2AZ-FE engine mixed with cold temps and my driveing style sucked up a lot of moly,ZDDP and Calcium from M1R. THe UOA is on this site so you can look at the two M1R formulas and and my UOA and compare the three.

My car does not use a roller cam or followers. It uses Toyota proven cam follower design and cam buckets like a Ducati or Ferria instead of the shim design used in the past on their engines. This means their is a ton of opertunity for shearing and contact. It also has helical cut gears up top and strait cut gears in the lower end. Then you have the massive chain and the gears that have 300TPI that control the variable cam phaseing.

I am sure that had I run this same oil in the wifes Buick with has a roller cam/lifters that the uptake of AW additives would have been significantly lower!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back