Amsoil 5W-20 Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Results from a very recent test completed by Blackstone Labs. I also posted a 'used' test in the Forum as well.

Amsoil 5W-20

TBN=12.0

Aluminum 1
Chromium 0
Iron 2
Copper 0
Lead 0
Tin 1
Molybdenum 1
Nickel 0
Manganese 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0
Potassium 3
Boron 5
Silicon 2
Sodium 1
Calcium 3029
Magnesium 22
Phosphorus 751
Zinc 849
Barium 0

SUS Viscosity 54.0
Flashpoint 440

I often wonder when I see VOAs, how come they have some components with such small numbers?

Honestly, what is 5ppm of boron and 22ppm of magnesium really going to do? Probably just as much as if they had left them out totally.

I'm not picking on Amsoil here, I see this a lot with many oils. It's like one oil recently which had 30ppm of moly in it. That's probably not going to be any better than an oil with no moly at all.

Patman - those elements are just free riders and came with the Ca, free of charge
cool.gif

Seriously look at the Table of Elements on your wall by your desk. Mg and Ca, very related as well B make some ok "soaps".....

I didn't realize that Pablo, thanks! I guess I assumed they actually went to the trouble of putting that tiny amount in there. But if it just came along for the ride with the calcium that makes sense to me now.

Too bad some moly couldn't have joined the party though!
wink.gif

with over 3000 ppm Ca.....there will be some impurities (see K as well) Na stays low though...

I should spend more time in virgin analysis....I didn't just write that, did I?

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
It's like one oil recently which had 30ppm of moly in it. That's probably not going to be any better than an oil with no moly at all.

Take a look at the Mobil SS analysis's here,,they are only uptaking around 30ppm of moly give or take,,what ever company that formulated said oil probably new what they were doing. Once plated depending on how hard the car is driven les will be uptaken IMO
smile.gif

[/QUOTE]But if you have an oil with only 30ppm to start with, that engine may never be fully plated up. Just look at how much moly my LT1 engine sucked up on the first interval with Schaeffer oil (close to 100ppm)

Now I am going to borrow one of your clichés, alot of vehicles running around with over 300,000 miles and no bypass filter or Moly in the oil.

[ February 20, 2003, 05:55 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

quote:

The Pennzoil, Castrol, Honda 5W-20s all had really high Molybdenum levels. Why is this Amsoil virtually non-existent? Isn't that bad?

I like the specs. of this oil but I think Mobil's will be better. I like Schaeffer's and Mobil's formulas as they seem to be doing a heck of a job.

With that much calcium, it is most likely the new concentrated, overbased calcium carbonate, which means it probably functions as an AW additive as well as a detergent/dispersant.

[ May 21, 2003, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

According to herguth , calcium is for cleaning, not antiwear.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
I like the specs. of this oil...

Why? What about the Amsoil specs do you like?

Troy

[ June 21, 2003, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

quote:

What about the Amsoil specs do you like?

I like the fact it is a heavier 20wt oil at 8.9cSt's. I think the ht/hs is decent for a 20wt at 2.9, although M1 and Redline's are as good and better. I do think though Mobil 1's 20wt looks sweet. My guess is next to REdline's, M1 will be second best. Amsoil makes good oils, you just have to run a UOA to see if it works for you. I've come to realize specs. don't mean as much as you might think. Sometimes you will see M1, with it's relatively low ht/hs numbers surprise you. It just depends on the engine....

[ May 21, 2003, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

quote:

Originally posted by H20024.6L:
Results from a very recent test completed by Blackstone Labs. I also posted a 'used' test in the Forum as well.

Amsoil 5W-20

TBN=12.0

I thought it was only supposed to be a TBN of 9-10.

I wonder if this skews the readings that we are getting on the UOA. If it were 2 numbers off, a TBN of 5 could actually be 3???

Just wondering.

mssparks - Blackstone is 1-1.5 high on the low end (under 6 or so) and often 2-4 higher than OAI on the TBN's over 10. (remember the 14-16's on M1?) So 12 at Blackstone vs. the 9-10 is not surprising.

quote:

According to herguth, calcium is for cleaning, not antiwear.

You may want to check-out these articles:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000175

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000177

Calcium sulfonate by itself is a detergent, but the new ester-based calcuim carbonate sulfonates are multifunctional additives, providing a.) detergency, b.) anti-wear, and c.) high base TBN capabilities.

[ June 21, 2003, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

I just got mine in from a UOA of 5500mi....

It's still almost new! I wonder how long I should go on the next change?

Amsoil 5W-20

TBN=10.10

Aluminum 8
Chromium 1
Iron 12
Copper 5
Lead 0
Tin 0
Molybdenum 104
Nickel 0
Silver 0
Titanium 0