Amsoil XL-7500 10W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
From an unopened bottle. This was shipped in late June so I think it's the old formulation. This is their economy API certified oil, not the full-syn. Analysis by Schaeffer's.

WEAR METALS
Cu:0, Fe:2, Cr:0, Al:0, Pb:0
ADDITIVES
Mo:2, Ph:1249, Zn:1213, Ma:42, Ca:4151
CONTAMINANTS
Nuthin
OIL PROPERTIES
Viscosity:9.59, 30Wt
Sulfer, Ox, Nit.: zero

So it seems to be a 'lite' 30wt like Mobil 1.

How did they sample the oil is the bottle was unopened?
grin.gif

It sure is a thin oil! They might as well market it as a 10w20!

I guess that partially explains why this oil came up as 20wt when I did a used oil analysis. Wear metals were good but oil came up thin. I also had a little fuel dilution at 1.1%, not bad but preventable. Car's running just fine, not rich.

My guess...I admit it but we all do dumb things.... I have a single car width driveway. In the morning I would pull this car out of the driveway so I could get the second car out. Running time of maybe one minute.
pat.gif
No, I deserve another.
pat.gif
I knew better but I guess I had to see it on paper to figure it out. I'm parking the older car across the street now so I'm expecting less dilution.

9.59 is in the 30wt range but a bit low for me. I'm thinking of changing this oil out early or adding some Schaeffer's 132 additive. I'm not a fan of additives but this would be a quick fix to get me through the winter. The 132 is supposed to raise viscosity by 0.5-0.75 and add a bit of moly to boot.

Looking at M1, Neo, Redline, or Amsoil 3000series for the next change.
confused.gif

Mormit,

They aren't even close on these additive levels!

This is an API licensed formulation with Phosphorus < 1000 ppm and a TBN of 9.0-10.0

The Series 3000, 5w-30 should work very well in this application - the additive chemistry is much more
robust than the XL-7500 series stuff. I'd test it after 7000-8000 miles in this Volvo turbo ....

TooSlick

[ November 09, 2002, 09:36 AM: Message edited by: TooSlick ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back