Royal Purple 5w30 SL formulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
Courtesy of Dyson Analysis (and thanks to Royal Purple for sending me this oil for free!)

code:

Copper 0

Iron 0

Chromium 0

Lead 0

Aluminum 1

Silicon 2

Tin 0

Moly 112

Sodium 0

Magnesium 11

Zinc 867

Potassium 0

Phosphorus 786

Calcium 1670

TBN 8

Viscosity 11.4

I am thinking that this formulation of Royal Purple is a lot like Schaeffer oil, it's a kind of a sleeper oil that virgin analysis results don't pick up on, but when they get the final UOA results they shine. I have a good feeling about this oil in my wife's car right now, and can't wait for her to hurry up and hit 5000 miles (but it'll probably be early summer 2003 before that happens)

Another thing to remember as well is that there are more ingrediants to an oil than we can see here on a virgin analysis. Royal Purple also has another additive called synerlec which acts similar to moly I believe. So like Schaeffer has moly and penetro, RP has moly and synerlec.

I notice that there's no sodium in this 5w-30 as there was in RP 10w-30 that we saw in the used oil analysis. Are RP oils SL/GF-3? If not, why aren't they? They could be with the low levels of phosphorous.

Jay, it has the starburst that says API certified on the front, and on the back it shows to exceed SL/GF-3 too. It also passes GM 4718M (for Corvettes)

I think the most troublesome trend I've seen with this oil was its tendency towards rapid oxidation and I don't think that's gonna be addressed in a virgin sample analysis ...

... although this was interesting to see nonetheless.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Patman.

If you want some more free oil I will mail you some if you will purge the crankcase after this run of RP and use what I send for 5K miles and analise
wink.gif

Send me a PM as to your thoughts on this
cool.gif

[ December 22, 2002, 09:29 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

I called Royal Purple, and asked if their new SL rated oil was any different from the older stuff I got from NAPA. They said it's the same oil as their API SERVICE CF, CF-2/SJ with Synerlec which is what I have. I have 16 qts so I should also be good until 2004.
smile.gif

Terry Dyson told me that this formulation he did the analysis on is quite a bit different than the last virgin sample he did on Royal Purple just about a year ago. Plus the technical numbers changed drastically too, the SJ 5w30 only had a 395F flash point while the SL stuff is 455.

[ December 22, 2002, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Terry Dyson told me that this formulation he did the analysis on is quite a bit different than the last virgin sample he did on Royal Purple just about a year ago. Plus the technical numbers changed drastically too, the SJ 5w30 only had a 395F flash point while the SL stuff is 455.

I called Royal Purple again today, and they said I'm OK. My 10W40 is not a energy conserving SL oil, so it will always be SJ. Also has a flashpoint of 455.

[ December 23, 2002, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: pedaltothemetal ]

It's going to be an awfully long time before I use up this supply of RP though. It'll take until early summer before I finish the 5k run on this batch, and after that I'm going to do the super long extended interval test, which will probably go well over 10k, so it'll be sometime in 2004 or maybe even 2005 before I'm done with all this Royal Purple I have.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ramair8:
the tbn looks kind of low too, no?

Not really. If it holds itself well, like Schaeffer oil does, then the actual number doesn't matter much. TBN retention is more important than having a high number to start out with. We'll see how it holds up in my wife's car.

The 10W40 API SJ I have has a TBN 13 according to Royal Purple.
Royal Purple API SL specs
Royal Purple API SJ Specs

It does refer to the Timkin test which Bob has performed on this site:
Greater Wear Protection - depends on the protective oil film not breaking down under pressure, preventing sliding surfaces from coming into contact. The ASTM D-2782 "Timken O.K. Load Test" measures an oils ability to prevent wear under load. Other premium motor oil films break down under a 20 lb. Timken load; `RP' carries an 80 lb. Timken load . . . a 400% performance improvement. `RP's super-tough film has extended engine life 300% or more in severe service.

[ December 24, 2002, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: pedaltothemetal ]

quote:

Originally posted by ramair8:
the tbn looks kind of low too, no?

It's probably hard to find the thread, but we discussed this months ago back when the new forum was still fairly new and member numbers were low. In any case, (correct me if I'm wrong here guys), an oil with a TBN of 8 dropping to 4 at the end of the oil change is a much better performing oil than an oil with a TBN of 12 dropping to 6 (everything else being equal of course). Both TBNs dropped in half, but the second oil dropped more than the first.

Patman Did Terry comment on the quality of the basestock based on the analysis above? What was it, is it any different from the rest, etc. etc.

Thanks,

Oz

Terry made no comments on the quality of the basestock at all.

I don't think you can tell the difference in base oils with a simple oil analysis like this. You need a much more in depth and costly process to tell what the base oil is made from.

Patman is correct that a $35 spectrograph is not going to reveal non organo metallic substances.

This oil uses differing esters to provide wear protection and unless I do a gas chromatographic burn I won't know for sure. About $300 a pop.

I can tell alot from how a lubricant formulation reacts in the engine as to what is in it. But that is interpolation from experience not a specific test.

Sometimes I know what the ingredients are from either secrecy agreements in performing work for a company or by knowing who formulated it or who they buy their supplies from.

[ January 03, 2003, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back