John Deere 15w-40 motor oil G-1 or G-2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the virgin analysis for John Deere's preferred 15w-40 conventional motor oil. $1.72/quart.

Al 02
Fe 01
Si 03
Mo 84
Mg 225
Zn 1110
P 1020
Ca 1860
Vis 16.1

So what do you think?

Is this a preferred conventional motor oil

John Deere markets oil? I didn't know that!

confused.gif

Oz

P.S. Thanks for the numbers
smile.gif

Thanks for the post! I wonder who makes the oil though? Anything on the bottle that suggests where it might come from?

I have a bottle of straight 30 weight John Deere oil. It looks like the Chevron Bottle, and Deere uses the term "Supreme Motor Oil". So, perhaps it's Chevron.
dunno.gif

In another discussion group (tractorbynet) it was suggested that John Deere oil was a product of ESSO Canada. I think ESSO is Exxon in the lower latitudes.

As for John Deere marketing oil. Yes they do plus tools, toys, shirts, antifreeze, grease, hydro fluids. I even saw John Deere dishes in Wal-Mart a few days ago.

Now Canada has its own part numbers and is sold in liters and I suspect with French/English lables.

Check out Deere.com. You can even order stuff right off the internet for home delivery for a fee or delivery to your local John Deere dealer with no shipping changes.

[ October 01, 2002, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

Yes, they market oil and their owner's manual says 200 hours for normal oil and 375 for their oil. Here they buy Chevron, as it is too expensive to get into the oil marketing business. That formula is no where near a Chevron formula, and it seems strange for a Diesel formulation. Are you sure that isn't their break-in oil? Very low detergency and barrier additives except for the moly. Also a strangly dirty sample.

Widman

The sample was straight out of a sealed 1 quart bottle. I used the same sampling techniques used for collecting water samples. You know keeping my greasy fingers our of the insides of both bottles.

Thanks for the information you have pushed me a little farther up the learning curve.

Remember ya'll what the original question was.

Does the virgin oil sample indicate to you that John Deere 15w-40 oil is a superior diesel oil?

John Deere calls this oil preferred in my operators manual. Before anybody comments I know preferred may mean JD preferres I buy JD oil.

I prefer much more detergency, especially with the diesel fuel we have and the diesel distributors that mix the diesel with raw petroleum to cut their cost. Also, considering that tractors are outside, often washed with pressure washers, and too often stored with used oil, I prefer a high TBN (which you don't list). Also I normally wouldn't target a viscosity that high, but John Deer engines like to shear oil, so that is probably why they start high.

Over the road diesel rigs operate on the average of 25-35% power, plus have speed to contribute to the air flow and cool the engine. A John Deere tractor operates on the average of 70-75% power while plowing and other tasks and only has the fan to help cool the engine, so it is much harder on the oil as crankcase temps can run very high.
Low speed, high power requirements, dirty/dusty operating environment and high heat are the downfall of tractor oils.

I should have given these numbers in the beginning.

John Deere Plus 50 15w-40 US part Number TY6389 Rated as SJ/CH-4 oil. However, JD does not API lic. their oil.

pour f -22 flash f 410 VI 130 TBN 11

Neil,

Except for the Moly, I wouldn't say this is an exceptional oil. I wouldn't run it over 50 hours without an oil analysis.

I agree. It looks competent, but not much more than that.

I'll take Pennzoil 15W40 Long Life or Schaeffer 7000 Supreme for my lawn & garden equipment any day.

--- Bror Jace

Is this the Plus-50 stuff? I thought it was a synthetic or blend, since the drain interval is longer. We have a JD 455 (diesel) garden tractor, and change the oil with Plus-50 yearly (which amounts to about 50 hours). It barely gets black from soot in so few hours.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't John Deere offer an extended engine warranty if you use this oil exclusively, and change it according to their intervals?

I believe that I have read in the Deere.com pages that they extend your warranty if you use JDs synthetic blends plus JDs filters.

It just extends to the synthetic blends of their oil. My dealer, nor any nearby, will stock the synthetic blend versions of JD oil and the mimimum order is a six gallon case direct from JD.

Plus 50

Guess I'm lucky--my Deere dealer stocks it in quarts.

Test Analysis 0W40

Viscosity 40°C................... 72 mm2/s
Viscosity 100°C................. 14.0 mm2/s
HTHS, 150°C..................... 3.7 cp
Pour point......................... -54°C
Flash point........................ 199°C
Total base number (TBN)....10.5 mg KOH/g
Sulfated ash level.............. 0.98% wt
Viscosity index.................. 22

Test Analysis 15W40

Viscosity 40°C................... 100 mm2/s
Viscosity 100°C................. 14.0 mm2/s
HTHS, 150°C..................... 4.1 cp
Pour point......................... -30°C
Flash point........................ 210°C
Total base number (TBN)....11.0 mg KOH/g
Sulfated ash level.............. 1.23% wt
Viscosity index.................. 136

The 0/40 might not be the best choice for a Diesel but it may be a oil that would slay the Mobil M1 0/40. I will get my hands on some and post a VOA of it if it is not a Group III which I doubt it is. I heard Conoco had a killer true synthetic,this might be one of theirs. I will do some more checking and post what I find.

Service Ratings

API ratings (diesel) - CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF
API ratings (gasoline) - SL, SJ
John Deere - JDQ 78A
Mack - EO-M Plus
Cummins - CES20076, 72, 71
Allison - C-4
Caterpillar - TO-2
Military - CIDA-A-52306, MIL-L-2104F

Test Analysis 0W-40

Viscosity @ 40°C...... 85.74 cSt
Viscosity @ 100°C...... 15.17 cSt
Viscosity index...... 187
HTHS @ 150°C...... 3.97 cP
Pour point...... -51°C
Flash point...... 230°C
Total base number (TBN)....12.8 mg KOH/g
Sulfated ash level...... 1.57 wt. %

Plus-50, 0W-40 for U.S

The 15/40 does look to be a Group III and possibly a PAO-Group III blend,,still hunting for the 0/40

http://seweb1.phillips66.com/hes/MSDS.nsf/MSDSID/US776046/$file/776046.pdf

BTW,it looks like John Deere has some good Turf Guard multi wts, in particular the Turfgard Supreme 10/30 and the Automotive John Deere Plus 10/30's and 10/40's might be group III's PAO blends ?
Still looking
wink.gif

[ December 22, 2002, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Dragboat,

Thanks for the info. I have been researching the John Deere Oil for over 6 months. The 0W40 is the one I am interested in. I cannot come up with who makes it for sure. BUT if I were to guess, I would suspect that Shell makes it. They have a 0W40 Rotella T, Full Synthetic, C rated oil, that they sell only in Canada. This is full syn. not a semi or SB.

I have been to the JD Dealer here and they know less than anyone. If you find a source find out the price on a 5 gal pail. I would run this in my 95 PSD for a test.

[ December 22, 2002, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I gave-up on John Deere oils. My John Deere now gets Schaeffer's series 7000 15w-40 oil. How could I resist the oil color matched the tractor!
wink.gif

I know I'm getting very good oil and I don't have to wonder whos packaging John Deere oil today.

I'm pretty sure John Deere oil is made by Conoco. Their web site is full of MSDS sheets for John Deere, along with MSDS info on Kendall, Motorcraft, Sinclair and Phillips Trop Artic oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back