> >Antifreeze negative
> >Soot 0
> >Oxidation 0
> >Nitration 0
> >Sulfur 0
> >TBN 13 very high value
> >Vis@100 C 11.6 30 w
> >
This OTC oil is currently in a good motor with 4k miles on the oil . After more miles are accumulated I will have it anylised at the Schaeffers Lab. So far,so good it seems
smile.gif

Wel I am a bit surprised there were no replies to this oil sample,,read deeper into why it has a TBN of 13 in a 1.37 a quart oil I guess and the possible merits of using a OTC oil like this.I know,I know it has been said a high TBN can be meaningless,I don't think so in this case but it does look like a waste of time and money to have this oil looked at through analysis to post and show alternative dino oils that are inexpensive and might work quite well

No hits on the Phiilips oil so here is a + 4 buck a quart group III synthetic to compare with
opper 0
iron 1 rusty pipes
chrome 0
lead 1 pipes
aluminum 1 pipes
silicon 2
Moly 36
sodium 0
magnesium 12
tin 0
zinc 716
potassium 0
phosphorus 647
calcium 1580

TBN 8

Vis @100c 11.0 30wt

[ November 22, 2002, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Phillips has told me it has a large amount of Boron and something else in it that raises the TBN. The something else is written down somewhere and I cannot find or remember it but it was something I was not familiar with.

I am going to send the actual used oil sample to another lab that checks for more adds and TAN when drain time comes then in part I will see what it was/is.

So the following quote was a totaly inacurate assumption that it has an Ester from just like the assumption another in the field told me.

"There is simply no way you would get a TBN of 13 out of this level of alkaline detergent additives unless the basestock was loaded up with ester."

[ November 24, 2002, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Dragboat,

Look at the Calcium and Magnesium numbers in this analysis! There is simply no way you would get a TBN of 13 out of this level of alkaline detergent additives unless the basestock was loaded up with ester. Most 12 TBN diesel oils have Calcium in the 3000-4000 ppm range, along with some Magnesium.

This looks more like a 7-8 TBN formulation to me, going strictly by chemistry ....

TS

I found it interesting that you used the OAI labs for the virgin analysis and you intend to use Schaeffer's for the used analysis. Why do that?

I scored some cheap Schaeffer's kits that I'll use for virgin analysis. The pricy OAI kits I'm saving for the used analysis.

Jay, wouldn't it be more useful to use the same lab for before/after testing? We've seen enough variation between labs that I'm sticking with the same lab where virgin/used comparison tests are planned.

The lack of inter-lab precision caused me to rethink my uses for the inexpensive test kits. Now I'm leaving them for blending, small engines, and getting friends & family started.

David

Jay,

OAI was not used to run this oil and probably will never be used. This one came from Holt Wear Analysis in Dallas TX- the Catapiller Dealer I think. Cost is 10 or 11 bucks I think.

Yep it's best to find a Lab and stick with it but I must use up some kits I bought somehow.I like the people at Holt and might do business with them again. I also like ANA Labs in new Jersey because they give all the metals and TAN/TBN for cheap money compared to some others

Dragboat thank you for spending the money and using your time to have 4 Virgin oils analyzed for the forum and another thanks for your responses to my many emails
cheers.gif

I feel on the like I am on track now in the vast world of motor oils and marketing claims and hype .

Dragboat,

If this lab is so great, how come no boron numbers?

If the Boron level was > 50 they might be using the new boron esters, but I have to agree with TooSlick on this one.

quote:

Originally posted by MolaKule:
Dragboat,

If this lab is so great, how come no boron numbers?

If the Boron level was > 50 they might be using the new boron esters, but I have to agree with TooSlick on this one.

It looks like the posts are misunderstood somehow but are easily read to me ? Let me try again
smile.gif
The Oil was not sent to OAI even though "I" never mentioned them then I explained.
I never said the Lab the oil was sent to was great .I said they were nice folks down there and I might do business with them again,,this is the same Lab Terry Dyson uses and I am using up some kits I bought through him and because the Holt Lab DOES NOT check for Boron the oil that is running will be sent to ANA Laboratories in New Jersey which does and also because I have some of their kits to use. They also check TAN and TBN for cheap.

Terry Dyson , Tooslick ,now you suspect the oil to have a Ester in the formulation and if so it is a bargain at less than a buck fifty per quart but it does not have a Ester is the deal per a Phillips Enginneer I know. Yep they have a Turbo 10/40 that is 25-30 percent PAO with Moly but not this SL 10/30 oil once again,,,per Phillips not I .Maybe it does have a Borate ester ? Hope it does and hope the oil holds up well and keeps wear metal down but time will tell.

Now did I make a mistake by sending the oil to a Lab that does not check for Boron ? I don't think so given I did not suspect any Boron to be in the oil,,I just wanted a look at it. Will I be making a mistake in sending the used oil to a lab that checks for Boron ? Nope because at least I will see TAN which should be down and whatever was left of the additive package after the interval.Will the analysis be a good one in that two Labs were used to look at the oil concerning additive depletion comparisons,,probably not but wear numbers will tell me enough as will the TAN and yes,I would have to turn around and use another oil in this vehicle to get some kinda comparison because a oil in the car has never been anylised before but it's not gonna happen because this will be a freebie oil analysis for the guy just because we used his motor to run the oil in first,,other cars in my Family will use it later after the fresh oil in some need changed

Had I suspected the oil to have that kind of TBN I would have either sent it elswhere or called Phillips first,,not last after I found it had such a high TBN and Terry Dyson commented that it must have a Ester in it..
I knew the TBN would be higher than any other OTC PCMO dino by how it is advertised but never ever thought it would be that high
smile.gif
Again some say a oil with a higher TBN starting point is meaning less in some oils. I believe what we have here is a great oil for short trips that kills the motor oil and for longer intervals over some of the OTC oils available,,,time will tell but it seems the messenger has been shot here . I just found what I considered to be a uniquely formulated oil by the description on the Trop Artic site,bought some ,sent it to a Lab and posted it for others to see .
If anyone thinks I dosed this oil up with a additive they are wrong
grin.gif
It sells in gallon jugs and quart bottles,,this was a fresh shipment from Bartlesville and was not even old stock although I did buy two cases of last years SJ Trop Artic Turbo 10/30

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
I also like ANA Labs in new Jersey because they give all the metals and TAN/TBN for cheap money compared to some others

Dragboat, do you have more info on these guys? I did a google search but came up empty handed...

TIA,
Robert

There is something in that oil that bumps TBN up and I can't see it in a low cost oil analysis. The amount of Boron adds used by Phillips rarely exceeds 200 ppm based on testing we did on their Nascar racing 15w-40 for a Phillips sponsored team in 1998.

As far as our "consumer" kits getting the Boron tested, it was one of many elements I cut out so I could afford to provide TBN/TAN and other degredation readings,ship for free, and put my interpretation on the finished product for $25 US. I also initially and periodically catch Holt's lab making mistakes that the untrained eye will miss.

Just ask Rob or Andy at Holt about that.

I still prefer to look at your existing test results if they are complete and accurate enough for $10 each for my "read". When you buy a kit or interpretation from me you are paying for years of application experience with internal combustion engine oil analysis that no other company offers.

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back