tin 0
zinc 716
potassium 0
phosphorus 647
calcium 1580

TBN 8

Vis @100c 11.0 30wt

[ August 13, 2002, 08:54 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Hmm, a tiny bit of moly in there, although probably not enough to do all that much.

I see the zinc and phosphorus are a bit lower, I guess all oils are trending that way now.

It's good to see the viscosity at 11.0 though, most 10w30 synthetics out there are much lower. What car are you going to run this in, and for how long? It'll be interesting to see the final results and compare it to these virgin numbers.

Dragboat,

I bought a quart of Pennzoil 75W90 lower (Marine) gear lube last night at Wallyworld.

This stuff is 100% PAO/ester.

Have you ever done a used oil analisis for this stuff??

Thanks

Dragboat: Please pardon my confusion here; is that the new Pennzoil 10w30 SL Dino(w/Pennzane), or the PZ 10w30 blend?
dunno.gif
I'm not familiar enough w/the PZ products names. (Sorry, Johnny!)

Molakule,

No analysis was curious to see if it was a above normal oil. I have no plans to use it but have two virgin samples of other brands of SL Mineral based at the lab right now,will post them when I get them back so we can compare a little. I will use one of the two SL Dino oils in the lab though in one car,Supersyn in another.

Stuart,it is the group III Synthetic with Pennzane that is posted. Not the Purebase or the blend

[ August 14, 2002, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Dragboat,

Well, the reason I asked is that you were into boat racing and might have come across someone who used it in their prop gearbox.

Oh. I see what you mean now. I will pass it on to the guys I know with ski boats

We don't use Mercruiser or Sterndriven type outdrives

Only V-Drive gear boxes and Lenco Two Speed air shifted transmisions

Some Jet Drives such as American Turbine,Berkely and Dominator nicknamed Pump boats or Jet boats

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
opper 0
iron 1 rusty pipes
chrome 0
lead 1 pipes
aluminum 1 pipes
silicon 2
Moly 36
sodium 0
magnesium 12
tin 0
zinc 716
potassium 0
phosphorus 647
calcium 1580

TBN 8

Vis @100c 11.0 30wt

dragboat,

Where did you get this analysis performed at?

Also, I notice no mention of boron. In my oil analysis spreadsheet, all 15 or so of the baseline motor oils I've had tested had a level of boron. Was such an element value in there?

It almost looks to me like the moly and the boron are criss-crossed, as the boron levels are typically in the 30 to 40ppm range. I wouldn't expect to see moly in Pennzoil full synthetic.

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
opper 0
iron 1 rusty pipes
chrome 0
lead 1 pipes
aluminum 1 pipes
silicon 2
Moly 36
sodium 0
magnesium 12
tin 0
zinc 716
potassium 0
phosphorus 647
calcium 1580

TBN 8

Vis @100c 11.0 30wt

In comparing the empirical values, the PureBase dino seems like a better choice than the full synthetic, as it has more phosphorous and zinc in its baseline formulation. All other elements are practically identical, even the TBN.

I find this odd, as every full synthetic I've had baseline tested has had a minimum TBN in the mid 10s......

We ran this one and I was suprised about the Moly also. We do not test for Boron normally.

I had to drop some metals to keep the price down for the consumer kit and still give nox,oxd,TBN etc. on every kit .

Terry

[ August 16, 2002, 08:13 PM: Message edited by: Terry ]

quote:

Originally posted by Terry:
We ran this one and I was suprised about the Moly also. We do not test for Boron normally.

I had to drop some metals to keep the price down for the consumer kit and still give nox,oxd,TBN etc. on every kit .

Terry

Good choice! I'd much rather have those three values than boron. It still bugs me that Blackstone doesn't give those three values, but yet makes their determination on how long an oil is going to last. How can they determine how long an oil can last for if they miss these values? (unless they do know these numbers and just don't tell the customer!)

Good question Patman, you'll need to ask Blackstone....... whoever they are .

If you didn't pay for the extra tests I guarantee they did not run them.

Here are the basic additives of the Purebase SL 10/30 with around 2600 miles of running for a little comparison
smile.gif

Molybdenum 49
>Sodium 0
>Magnesium 6
>Zinc 756
>Potassium 3
>Phosphorus 607
>Calcium 1470
>Silicone 11

Is it just me or does the full "synthetic" look kind of pitiful?
confused.gif
Should we all get a supply of SL oil before the next generation is even worse? Maybe I'll just look at an electric car.
rolleyes.gif

If these various group III makers would put the adds in the 10/30's like they do the 5/50's I think it would be a better oil.The companies should make two 10/30s in the line,one for the energy conserving spec and one nice 11.5 -12.0 or so VI with some good additives.

I don't know but in a competitive market,the more Mobil SS that is sold,the more they can drop the SS price if need be it seems to me in a pricing war vs the group III's. Now Chevron/Texaco just might run their III's a bit different in pricing. I have not seen any yet to know what the pricing is like of their new III's.But the Syntec around these parts are about 60 cents higher per quart than the PAO Mobil oil. Walmarts are having trouble keeping the SS in stock it seems when I go there which is just Okie Dokie with me
tongue.gif

I forgot to add,on the back label of the Pennzoil Group III bottle I had it reads something to the effect of use 3 month/3 k intervals. Thats LOL to me.

[ November 05, 2002, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Aw Gee, I thought the Group III oils were supposed to be such a jump in technology
'cause they are as expensive as full synths.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back