MSDS: Which Brake cleaner is better of the two?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok - at home - wash with water - dry with leaf blower (PPE as desired) - if any residual grease try 3M, CRC, or Berryman brake cleaner. However - not all commercial service departments want water hose freelancers in the shop.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Ok - at home - wash with water - dry with leaf blower (PPE as desired) - if any residual grease try 3M, CRC, or Berryman brake cleaner. However - not all commercial service departments want water hose freelancers in the shop.

I wouldn't use a leaf blower, mostly because I don't have one, but partly because of the small risk that some residual dust would become airborne. If I was in a big hurry I'd spray with ethanol, but I'd try and avoid being in a big hurry.

Washed down brakes dry pretty quickly here, especially if I use hot water, though that could increase corrosion a bit.

Ok, international rock-throwing aside I only use the non-flammable variety. It removes grease like crazy and I can use it on an engine without worrying about fire.
Yes, it's known to cause a hacking cough in the California Condor. Since I don't degrease Condors I don't care.

California banned the chlorinated stuff due to VOCs and ground water effects - but you can still find it as electric motor cleaner, it still has perc in it. The non-chlorinated stuff flashes off too quickly before it can work. A big plus to non-chlorinated cleaners is that you can use the same oil catch pan to rinse brakes off to catch spent product and it won't contaminate your waste oil.

I can't see the SDS for the 2nd cleaner, but if you're going to use in a bulk sprayer try them both and see what has the best cost/benefit ratio.

Ironically, there is a chlorinated solvent that's approved in CA in coatings(parachlorobenzotrifluoride) that Berryman's is now marketing in CA. Some shops here in CA are now using Safety-Kleen's aqueous parts cleaner for brakes. I've used soap and water or non-chlorinated spray on brake inspections, it's whatever I have on hand.

All I know is that my breast cancer wasn't hereditary. That leaves environmental pollution. Long chain chemicals aren't good to ingest or inhale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back