Castrol GTX 20w50 vs. Halvoline 20w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is the better conventional oil for a Harley? Trying to decide which to use if I stay with dino but I may go synthetic...just not sure yet.
I use Castrol GTX 5w30 in my Chevy 350 and I have it analyzed with outstanding results so I'm leaning to Castrol but we are talking motorcycles here so maybe the Halvoline is the way to go???
What do you guys think?

I can't believe there is a dime's difference between Castrol GTX, Chevron Supreme or Havoline 20W-50 oil in the application you suggest.

If it were a wet clutch application something "MIGHT" be said for going to an oil with a JASO MA rating, like Castrol's EVO, Valvoline's MC 20W-50, etc.

Not for a Harley, though.

IMHO.

Cheers!

Here is my data from running Havoline 20W50 for two OCI's in my 1994 Evolution engine (Dyna Low Rider).

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=000043#000000

I have also just drained some VR1 Valvoline, two quarts of 20W50 and one quart of straight 60 weight (mixture), after 2700 miles. I'll be sending that off to Blackstone either tomorrow or Friday. Maybe by the end of next week we can see how the VR1 heavy mix compares to the Havoline 20W50.

I do think the Castrol will work, but as you can see it will be hard for it to beat the Havoline. In fact, my Havoline UOA's are better than any other Harly UOA's on the board--including synthetics. Wear metal mitigation is the main thing to look at. Don't get distracted by all that "staying in grade" stuff that some guys seem obsessed with. When an oil is doing it's job, the wear metals will be low, and vice versa.
wink.gif

Dan

Dan, have you got "bad" uoa's on other oils to compare with? I only mention it because it's possible that you have a "good" motor put together well and broken in right.

I've seen it with new 600's, some fast some dogs, same oil and all broke in on the same track. Parts out of spec or not well mated throw off more wear metals. Blueprint the slug bikes (or sell them) and they're golden.

wiley, you may be right. As mentioned, I'll be sending off some VR1 Valvoline Racing oil (two parts 20W50, one part 60 weight) and we'll see how that looks.

I had to work late today, so I didn't get the sample sent off. But if I get it in the mail tomorrow, I may get the results by next Friday, September 1st.

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by fuel tanker man:
wiley, you may be right. As mentioned, I'll be sending off some VR1 Valvoline Racing oil (two parts 20W50, one part 60 weight) and we'll see how that looks.

I had to work late today, so I didn't get the sample sent off. But if I get it in the mail tomorrow, I may get the results by next Friday, September 1st.

Dan

Looking forward to it!

The VR1 sample went out last Friday... I'll let you guys know how it looks. If it's worse than the Havoline 20W50 UOA's I've done, I think it'll be safe to conclude that the engine itself isn't an above average example; it'll be the Havoline.
smile.gif

But we'll have to get Blackstone's report back first. I'll post it when it comes in.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back