Esso Easymix 2-stroke oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in an Esso (EXXON, Imperial Oil) gas station the other day and i happened to notice this 2-stroke oil on the shelf called
"Esso Easymix". I wouldn't have given it a second glance but it says "premium quality synthetic blend" on the bottle and it only costs $3.50 a litre!

I bought a bottle just for the heck of it. I am debating whether to try it in my 2006 KTM 300XCW (modern power valve equipped dirt bike motor).
It also says on the bottle that it meets API TC, JASO FB, JASO FC, and ISO EGD specs. Did i mention it's only $3.50 a litre!

The back of the bottle reads as follows:

A premium synthetic blend, low ash 2-cycle oil for all air cooled and some liquid cooled engines. Recommended for 2-cycle engines requiring API TC, JASO FB, JASO FC, or ISO EGD quality oil. Also recommended for chainsaws, motorcycles, mopeds, ATVs, generators, water pumps, lawn/garden equipment requiring the above quality oil.
-Formulation gives low-temp protection down to -40 degrees
-Excellent low-smoke performance and reduced odor
-Suitable for oil injection and pre-mix up to 100:1 fuel/oil ratio where recommended - see owners manual

Now I am no oil expert but i have done some research and it seems that JASO FC and ISO EGD are fairly tough standards to meet.

Not being made of money, it would be nice to run an oil that costs roughly 1/5 what Maxima Super M runs if it will work as well or almost as well.
What do you think? What should i watch out for if i do decide to try it? I would mix it at 40:1 BTW.

[ August 13, 2006, 01:32 AM: Message edited by: Steveo_supremo ]

I would mix it at what ever the engine manufacturer recomends. JASO is a tough cert. to meet, I'd say give it a whirl. If you have any doubts pick up some of the best air cooled two cycle oil on the planet bar none: MOBIL ONE RACING 2T.

Give it a shot, what the heck. I ran $2 a quart castrol grandprix in my mod sled last season and it worked great, better than some high zoot brands.

quote:

I would mix it at what ever the engine manufacturer recomends.

KTM recommends Motorex Cross Power 2T at 60:1 but almost no-one runs them that oil-lean, even the guys that run Motorex. Most mix at 40:1, with a few guys running 32:1 and a few at 50:1

quote:

If you have any doubts pick up some of the best air cooled two cycle oil on the planet bar none: MOBIL ONE RACING 2T.

I guess i should have mentioned it is liquid cooled, but yes i know MOBIL ONE RACING 2T is very good, however no-one stocks it in this small town i live in.

How can i find out what this Esso Easymix is made up of? Is it Ester, PAO, etc...?

I used this stuff back in the '80's in an MX bike and it ate plugs like they were going out of style. I switched to Bel-Ray and the problem ended. It's probably improved somewhat, but I doubt that Esso designed it for KTM's with power valves. You bought one of the nicest bikes there is, why on ***'s green earth do you want to run the cheapest **** oil you can find???

Quote--JASO FC is the highest rating for 2-stroke oils. JASO-FC oils leave little deposits and create very little smoke. They also pass lubricant and detergent tests. A JASO FC oil will have a rectangular seal. In the upper quarter of the rectangle will be a serial number and the lower three quarters will just have the letters M.
(Wickipedia)
doc

quote:

why on ***'s green earth do you want to run the cheapest **** oil you can find???

I don't necessarily want to run the cheapest oil, and there are definitely cheaper oils out there that i wouldn't even consider. And i haven't decided if i will try it or not yet anyway. However, most of us know that a lot of "Boutique" oils are grossly overpriced. If this stuff is as good as the Maxima Super M I currently run and costs 1/5 I'm all over it. It has to be pretty good to meet JASO FC right? I think i will try it at least for a tank or 2. If i start fouling plugs (KTM 300's don't foul plugs unless something is terribly wrong) I'll switch back to Super M. Also, i doubt that the stuff you ran back in the '80s was the same formulation as this stuff. I don't imagine it was a synthetic blend back then.

quote:

Originally posted by Steveo_supremo:

quote:

why on ***'s green earth do you want to run the cheapest **** oil you can find???

It has to be pretty good to meet JASO FC right?

That's like saying that, "this $2.30/L stuff on sale at Wal-Mart is API-SM so it must be good enough for my 'Vette right?" I have little doubt that the formulation is updated, but I'm sure you could do much, much better. I would bet the farm that the Maxima product will kill it. I agree that there are 2-cycle oils that are over-priced, but IMO, you've swung too far backwards looking for a value. Nothing personal, but that is an awesome bike and Easy-mix is hardly worthy.

I wonder if this Easy-mix is to Mobil MX2T as Esso XD3 is to Mobil1??? Would you dismiss XD3 just because it costs 1/2 of Mobil1?

This easy mix may be the XD3 of the 2 stroke world. BTW I am on a 04 300EX/C. Previous owner ran Motul 800 at 50:1, I have run Bel Ray H1R at 50:1. A local expert racer who is very hard on his equipment swears by OPTI-2 at 80:1.

I will try a bottle of easy mix if you do.

In my experience, Esso products are no where near as good they are touted on this site. XD-3 may be an exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back