Ester based or Dino

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, i'm new in the forum.

I'm from Chile(southamerica), and oil prices are expensives. As a matter of fact, a delvac 5w-40 gallon costs US$ 60 to 70 , and when it comes to Dino oils, they are more cheaper, around US$ 15 to 35.

When we talk about motorcycle oils, the more expensive they are, a liter or amost a quart from Motul 5100 15w-50 ester based, non fully sinthetic costs US$ 10.

My main concern is about the dino oils compared to blend or semi-synthetic oil like motul 5100. I know the ester is a real advantage over dino oils but the prices from dino are pretty attractive, Delo 400 15w-40 costs 15 dollars the gallon, delvac super 1300 around 18 dollars the gallon.

My motorcycle is a Yamaha 06'TT 250 R with 1100 miles,air cooled engine and wet sump, not oil in the chassis but in the bottom of the engine, she only uses 1.5 oil quart and my habits driving are dual sport, 70 on and 30 off road.

I chose ester based oil like motul 5100 or silkolene comp4 ( ester based as well) 15w-50 both instead Dino oil for what i read here so far due to the clean propperties of the ester based oils, i know the dino oils has a lot of amounts of ashes and the ester oils not, please, correct me if i'm wrong.

Other point is to withstand heat on the ester based oil.

Don't know very much this things, but, i really was about to prove Delo 400 or Delvac but someone said the ester oils are much better than dino oils.

I'll be changing the engine oil every 2000 miles,
so, what do you recommend?

I'd really like to save some money.

Cheers

The ester based oils are better. They cost more. Delo 400 is very good if you shorten your oil changes to 1000-1500 miles. At 2000 miles I would use ester oil. You should get 3000 miles from ester oils. No need to change oil so often with ester oil.

thanks for that, motul 5100 is not from pure ester for what i read so far(100%synthetic), it is semi synthetic,and about the dino, then it would be better to switch to dino oil and change it every 1500 miles like you said.

Can i expect the same protection and cleanliness in that range of miles with dino oil?

Are you sure the motul 5100 15w-50 would last 3000 miles? i read in thumpertalk they changed the oil very often(every 3 rides) but they use their TTR 250 for off road mainly, and they use rotella t 15w-40.

quote:

I'm from Chile(southamerica), and oil prices are expensives. As a matter of fact, a delvac 5w-40 gallon costs US$ 60 to 70 , and when it comes to Dino oils, they are more cheaper, around US$ 15 to 35.

No question in my mind, dino all the way. Synthetic is good but not quadruple the price better. Not even double the price for that application IMHO.

OK,i read the forum, the last question i have:

- How many miles to change engine oil delo 400 in yamaha ttr 250 air cooled thumper with just 1100 miles, would be the top of 1500 miles with on road riding use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back