oil for 2005 DRZ400SM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also having some second thoughts about the diesel oils in motors that don't spec them.

The bike guys think they are cuttin a fat hog due to the higher AW additive level. But they also get a good dose, >1%, of ash, which is known to be an abrasive. If you look at the oil as a complete package instead of individual add's, maybe it's not the magic pill everyone thinks it is?

I am sure sunrah will chime in on this
tongue.gif

duckmanco,I think Amsoil mcf 10-40 with the Jaso certification for motorcycles.

There are folks that say diesel oil is fine, others say any oil is fine and others say specific. Miles for OCI vary too....in fact, I have never seen a bunch of oil people vary so much on OCI's, Types, Grades...etc. The motorcycle folks really have differences.

Hey guys, after looking through the info on this board, I chose Rotella Synthetic 5-40 (or is it 5-30?) for my O5R6 sportbike. I sold that bike and purchased an 05 DRZ400SM, an absolute killer streetbike. Anyway, its a liquid cooled, 4 stroke single, and I have never owned one of these before. So, my question is, I dont believe in spending extra money on motorcycle specific oil, so would 5-40 (or 5-30) rotella synth be better than the dino rotella 15-40? I only plan on doing OCI's of 1500-2000 miles. The owners manual calls for 4000 mile oci's using 20-50 or 15-40 or 10-40, nothing about 5-40, but i really liked that oil in the yamaha. So what can you guys recomend?

well, I realized I have some RTS 5-40 sitting around, so I think I'll be using that for some 2000 mile OCI's with filter change every other time. Thanks guys. No to determine when I use it all up, whether or not to go back to dino 15-40 rotella or continue with the synthetic?

Please post a couple of UOA's from your bike. I am interested to see how the rotella comes out. I am currently running amsoil mcf 10w40 in mine with around 4500 miles on it. You can see two of my samples in the motorcycle uoa forum. I love my bike as well and coming from a motorcross background I could not pass up a street legal dirtbike with sticky tires.

I'm currently running Moto specific Amsoil 10w40 in my DRZ400s/sm. Have yet to do a UOA on it. I too was never big on motorcycle specific stuff but with burned pushing it so hard... and the fact that I get it as cheap as any other quality syn... I just decided to go with it.

My Suzuki also calls for 10W-40. I use Suzuki Performance 4 oil. $2.15 per quart at Oneida Suzuki. It's MC specific and cheap. They can't argue if a warranty issue came up too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back