How to change ALL oil in MC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yamaha Vstar 650 2003. Changed oil twice, but each time it turns black right away. Must be oil not draining from clutch or something. Is there a trick to get more of the oil out during a change? I didn't try changing gears while draining.. maybe that would help release it?

If the bike has an oil cooler on it some oil will stay trapped in it after the motor is shut off. Sometimes you can losen an oil line going to the cooler and get the rest of the oil out.

Are you changing the oil with the motor warmed up?

short of splitting the cases and cleaning it all with varsol, not possible.

there is residual oil in all of the pressure lines and cavities. including the oil pump itself.

KW gives a good idea on where a large amount might be.

see if there are any other oil lines and undo the lowest ones.

The motor was warmed up. I'll have to see if I can see any lines anywhere. I'm still waiting on the service manual also. I just thought I might be missing something obvious. Leaning the bike a little and back again seemed to drain some more also.

No, it turned pretty black just turning the engine over for 30 seconds. Must be mixing with bunch of oil that didn't get drained.

So why worry if its changed. Can't you compare what you dump or how mauch you added to the oil capacity in your manual or on a website?

Sounds like you're changing it more than once a year and before Yamaha's recommendations anyway.

I just bought the bike w/ 3550 miles. Oil hadn't been changed in 3 years 3000 miles. I was trying to get all of it out. According to manual, there was still .4 qts in it. .2 of that was still in the filter which I'll change after a short interval.

Since when does anybody on this board follow manufactures recomendations anyway???

I'm trying Delo 400 15-40 for the first couple of oci's. Haven't decided what to run going forward. Probably some syn changed anually.

I am usually once a year on a 650 single.

I change it a few times when I buy the bike
that's seldom used and with a dead battery layover which is what you're doing . Are you running rotella syn t?

Trooper,I too am running DELO 400 in both my MX bikes.Even though different motors,mine stays golden color until next oil change. After it stops draining,I keep leaning the bike to the right and back to the left again.I see you do this also,but I keep doing it for 15 minutes.I get a good few more ounces out of it. Do you open any fill plugs to help it drain better?

No I haven't tried opening the full plug. I'll give that a go.

My bike sits pretty close to the ground, and my current oil pan barely fits under it. Kinda hard to rock the bike. I'll probably try to get a smaller pan. I'm considering buying one of the bike lifts, but wouldn't be able to rock the bike at all on that.
My oil plug is in a VERY bad place. I can barely get an open end wrench on it to get it off. No other tool fill fit from either head clearance, clearance around the bolt, or ground clearance.. poor design.. After first short change, its still coming out black... about to change it again, I'll see how it goes this time. Probaby just the 1/2 qt from not changing filter last time.
I just bought some Havoline from all the hype on this board. I'll see how it runs on that next.

You could get a shallow baking pan(foil; they're cheap)and after draining most of the regular oil, close drain plug, substitute the shallow pan and open plug again, then you'll have room for a gentle tip to the other side. Hold it there for a minute or so, and then go about the rest of your change.

don't worry
I have a 1100 V* and the oil turns black pretty quickly after each change as well
Just ride on

Many bikes have 2 plugs you can pull, and you always seem to get a little more leaning the bike back and forth like mentioned. You'll never get it all though, too many voids and places for it to accumulate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back