Yamaha Vino 125 Scooter

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
We just got one of these scooters for my wife, and as I was reading through the owner's manual, I came across the following verbage regarding what motor oil to use:

quote:

Do not use oils with a diesel specification of "CD" or oils of a higher quality than specified. In additions, do not use oils labeled "Energy Conserving II" or higher.

Then, back in the specification section of the manual, it is stated:

quote:

Recommended oil classification API Service SE, SF type or higher.

Here are the temperature range/viscosity guidelines:

*From 14F to over 86F, use 10W-30
*From 14F to over 104F, use 10W-40
*From below 50F to over 104F, use 20W-40
*From Below 50F to 122F, use 20W-50

This scooter does not have a common sump where the engine, transmission and clutch all share the same oil.

Now my questions: what does that first quote mean? No HDEO can be used, or only those rated "CD?" This confusing because "CD" is an obsolete service category, and all subsequent service categories can be used in place of "CD."

I've got a lot of Delo 400 15W-40 at my shop, and it would seem perfect in this application, except for this issue. Maybe I should just use GC and let it go at that... or maybe I should use my Harley 20W-50 oil... hmmm.

The other confusing statement is this: "Do not use...oils of a higher quality than specified," yet the specification listed is for "SE, SF or higher."

Maybe I'm just too tired to think this through clearly, but if anyone can decipher this I would greatly appreciate it.

i would HIGHLY recommend sae30 or sae40.
straight weight oil.
and least for the april - october time.
10w30 for others. depends on the temps which are pretty mild if my memory of El Toro/Mission Viejo from the 80's is correct.
grin.gif

Delo 400 15W-40 would be a very wise choice!!! use it as long as you can and change it often.

My wife has a Kymco People 150 scooter. I have Mobil 1 EP 15w50 in it. It gets hot in Texas and the scooter runs pretty close to wide open most of the time. I would recommend a synthetic.

BTW, I am glad that I am not the only harley rider whose wife wanted a scooter. The only time I really mind it is when I have to go gas it up for her.

quote:

Originally posted by todds21:
BTW, I am glad that I am not the only harley rider whose wife wanted a scooter. The only time I really mind it is when I have to go gas it up for her.

Yesterday, when I was riding the little beast home, I was getting all kinds of teasing from surrounding motorists... I was wearing my "Harley-Davidson" labeled FXRG carbon-kevlar full face helmet.

-

It was kinda fun!
gr_stretch.gif

And, thanks everyone, I'm glad that you guys are saying Delo is okay.
smile.gif

15W-40 HDEO is a common substitute for obsolete SE/SF oils in motorcycles. They call out SE/SF for two reasons. SJ oils limited levels of zinc below what was allowed in earlier oils and they are trying to scare you into buying overpriced Stealership MC oil.

15W-40 will be good down to around 20F which will more than cover you in Los Angeles. HDEOs also have high enough anti-wear additive levels for motorcycles. xW-40 SJ oils were not limited in how much zinc they could have.

My take on the CD comment is that it means don't use oils that are only rated CD. If it also has the appropriate gas engine ratings, then it's OK.

I would also put more weight on what's on the spec page than the mumble jumble in the text.

15W-40 has the same HTHS spec as xW-50 oil, while 10W-40 has the same HTHS spec as xW-30 oils. It's goofy that MC engines call out 10W-40 instead of 15W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back