Why M/C Specific

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents,
A new (old) Harley owner. Just got a '98 Heritage. Hard core Amsoil guy but I question the use of Amsoil MC specific oils. The MC oils do not have friction modifiers. The friction modifiers would make the wet clutch burn up. Found this out the hard way about 12-years ago with a new Honda. Yup, ran Amsoil racing oil in an air cooled dirt bike and smoked the clutch in 3-months. Since Harley big twins have isolated clutches why wouldn't we want to run the best oil for high temp low RPM applications such as a diesel oil??

Thanks,
Guys

Why do you question Amsoil for motorcyle specific oils,if you think they do not have friction modifiers in there make up?They do have Moly now in there make up, I think around 50ppm.I do not know what else in a oil make up that is considered friction modified,but Moly is in there oils. I run Delo 400 15/40 in both my bikes MX SHARED SUMP,Delo has about double the moly content the Amsoil has. A lot of the moly stories are not fact,I have a good 120hrs on one of my bikes ,started out on Delvac which has moly and switched over very early to the Delo.If you think Amsoil has no moly, and you think a oil with moly will do the clutch harm why do you doubt Amsoil. Am I reading this wrong,regardless there is plenty of evidence in here to show Amsoil works fine in a clutch. Give me my Delo with frequent changes and my bikes are good to go!

kx,
the oils the same today as it was 12 years ago.
aint it?
grin.gif

Tucker,

Based on my experience, the best Amsoil product to run in a Harley with a separate transmission sump is their Series 2000, 20w-50 racing oil.

For wet clutch applications, I'd run one of their JASO MA rated, motorcycle specific oils.

TS

You can run diesel oil in a Harley, and most other bikes that combine the engine/tranny/clutch. Its just recomended to run oils labeled for the application, it keeps the world that much more simple.

Last I checked, you can run any oil in most Harley motors (becasue they run seperately) just follow the recomended wieght. Most guys I know run 20w-50 oils.

Harley motors are actually one of the few left that are air cooled (V-ROD aside), and can benifit from thicker weight oils as temps rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back