5w20 in a 2 stroke gearbox to reduce drag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im thinking of trying out fomr 5w20 or 0w20 in my 2 stroke gearbox to reduce drag. clutch slippage issues aside, what do yall think?

i know plenty of people who run atf in my same gearbox so i dont think the low viscosity of a 5w20 would be a problem.

opinions, please?

Wouldn't be afraid to try it? My personal experience has been different bikes like different fluids so it never hurts to experiment. For example WAY back when, I had a maico and a ktm, the ktm loved dextron the maico hated it. Maico prefered 10w30, but was too thick for the ktm. A husqvana I had didn't mind anything you poured in there. If the 20w's had been around then I'd been given em a try.

You could go out on a limb and use ATF. It's a approximate 7 cSt fluid but it has much better extreme pressure capabilities than does motor oil. After all,, it is designed to lubricate gears.

Type F ATF is hardly out on a limb.
i used it soley for 2 years of racing in a '98yz250.
when i sold the bike in last 2000, the clutch pack was still in oem "new" spec.

thats what i was thinking. i know alot of people who use type f for decades with no problems. sence a 5w20 is similar viscosity to a atf, maybe a motor oil has more ep adds and thats why i was thinking of using it.

typo above, "late 2000" instead of last 2000.
that bikes transmission was so clean i'd eat off it any day of the week. it sparkled it was so clean.
i used pennzoil type f atf, changed it every race and it was always as clean coming out as it was goin in.

the big difference is that Type F ATF is designed for a gear box and 5w20 isn't. 5w20 is gonna shear down fast. mega fast. look what i've proven with the 10w40 tests. however, a uoa of either oil after being in the tranny of a 2smoker would be VERY interesting!!!

I have done it. It will work just fine. Even 0W 20 will work just fine. You may even pick up a bit more power thru less fluid drag.

Chris

I read a study about engiens with wet clutches that use shared engine/tranny oil. Said once the oil is bellow a 30wt the trans gears and other parts start to show signs of pitting.

jay makes a good point, plus twostroke gearcase oil doesn't get all that hot compared with a 4 stroker. So ACID's 20w could probably mantain
as much viscosity as a shared engine/tranny 4stroker on 40w? Chris I did read the same advertisment, I mean study, so I know what your saying. Never seen hint of the problem with 2 cycles on ATF, so wouldn't think 5w20's would be a problem either.

Motor oil is designed to work in a environment rarely experienced in a gear box. Motor oils are designed for hydrodynamic environments where either plain bearing inserts or soft metal machined surfaces act as the bearing surface between high speed components.

Where a camshaft lobe rides against a lifter or a push-rod tube mates against a rocker or plunger the lubricant will utilize its boundary layer capabilities where anti-wear chemicals will perform the task of reducing friction on a molecular level.

Cylinder wall lubrication will be a combination of the two.

Two-cycle motorcycle gear boxes use roller/needle bearings to suspend the gear shafts and the clutch basket rides on a caged needle design and often uses a needle for actuation. These designs normally need a elasto-hydrodynamic fluid film to protect the bearing. The gears will need boundary layer lubrication to protect their mating surfaces along with the metal/metal contact experienced between the shift forks and the gear. The fiber friction plates of the wet clutch will also require a none-aggresive lubricant capable of carrying the extremely high surface temperatures away.

I would not use a SM rated ILSAC GF4 lubricant in a gearbox. I believe that all 5W-20 oils are designed to meet these standards.

I would use the lighter viscosity ATF due to it's EP capability and the elasto-hydrodynamic design characteristics. Detergents found in motor oil are unnecessary in the gear box and viscosity modifiers are also a non-issue.

I would not use a fluid such as the new DEX-6 fluid either because of the very low viscosity (4cSt).

I used to always use Supertech atf in my 2-stroke bikes, but the oil was changed everytime I rode. Supertech ATF is available at walmart for $4.?? a gallon. I never had a problem with cluctches except from my personal abuse racing motocross.

What few oil experts ever do is what I do nearly every day. Ride a 2 stroke bike on the street.

I have plenty of miles and experience on 2 strokes, as it is the only kind of bike I like or own.

I have never seen any 2 stroke gearbox wear out using modern oils of any type or viscosity. There are so few failures that I would guess any modern oil will work. Yes, you may read of pitting on some 4 stroke trans gears. But I have never seen ANY oil related issues with the common 2 stroke gearbox. Even those who never change gearbox oil or run with contaminated oil have good results!

I did have an IT490 that lost a countershaft bearing. After a bunch of fishing line tore up the shaft seal and I did a 100 mile ride in the muck. That is what it takes to cause a failure.

I say 0-20, 5-20 or ATF is not a problem.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back