Oil Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster. I need some suggestions on what oil to use in my cycle. I have a 1981 Suzuki GS850G with 33.5k miles. I bought the bike last spring from the original owner who for the most part kept in good shape. With bikes I've owned in the 80’s I’d use the same brand of oil in my bike that I used in my car without any problems. However with the Suzuki I’ve been using Valvoline 10W 40 dino motorcycle oil and it seems to be working great. The bike runs and shifts smooth so I’m happy with the Valvoline. I have no problems continuing using Valvoline motorcycle oil but at close to $4 a quart I could be talked into trying something else. I drive mainly to work, 4 miles one way mostly city and I put between 1.5k to 2k miles a year on it. Winters can be cold and snowy in Wisconsin so my riding season is only about 7 months. Any suggestions?

I have used the Val. 10-40 for break-in on my desert toys and it seems like decent oil. Then it's all synthetic. I use Amsoil synthetic 10-40 motorcycle oil. NEVER use any oil in your bike that says "energy conserving" as the friction modifiers can make a wet clutch slip. $4 a quart for motorcycle oil doesn't seem like a lot.

$4 a qt, and only about 2K total miles per year; I'd say keep doing that.
The 850 Suzukis are bullet proof, will last forever with TLC.
Only problem I recall was the cam chain tensioner needed to be kept in adjustment.
Also it might need a new one at about 40K miles or so.

Many Honda owners are using Rotella T synthetic @$14 a gallon at Wal-mart. You could try that for a year.

Thanks for the replys. I was just at Walmart close to were I live and they don't have the Rotella T synthetic but they do have dino Rotella, Delo and Delvac. I think I'll give one of these oils a try. I also noticed that none of the auto 10w-40 oils were "energy conserving" but I don't think I'll try them without knowing their moly content.

moly content don't make a hillofbeans difference.

age old myth.

the 3 you listed will work just fine.

i've yet to see a 10w40 survive the gearbox test. SRT white jug does though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back