Redline OK for wet clutch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since Redline does not make motorcycle specific oil is there motor oil compatable with the wet clutches in motorcycles? Thanks

Used there 30w race in many race bikes and never had any problems. Many of these bike have back- torque devices and its never effected thier operation either.

What blows my thought process out of sinc is that the OEM say's these types of oils will cause some clutch slippage and pre-mature wear?

But apparently thousands use these slippery oils and don't have any problems.

If I recall correctly, I believe Terry Dyson said that Redline 10w-40 is an excellent motorcycle oil, something about excellent shear resistance. That's good enough for me.

Most motorcycles have a wet clutch, so I'm guessing that recommendation would apply to your bike.

in our formula sae car which is power by F4I motor we use probably the slickest oil out there, Elf HTX 3821, no problems at all with the clutch.

quote:

Originally posted by LargeCarMan:
What blows my thought process out of sinc is that the OEM say's these types of oils will cause some clutch slippage and pre-mature wear?

But apparently thousands use these slippery oils and don't have any problems.

I think you will be hard pressed to find an OEM, be it a bike or oil OEM, that has, or will, state that any oil will cause clutch slippage and pre-mature wear.
Only conventional wisdom, which is often clouded by misconception and myth, would make such a claim.

Now some oil OEM's may well ride on these myths and misconceptions, especially if that OEM has a moto specific rated oil to peddle.
And bike mfg's may also add a disclaimer to their recommendations, on the chance that there could well be an oil that could possibly cause a problem.

As stated, MA rated oils have been certified to meet certain criteria that would show by previous testing that they will more than likely not cause a wet-clutch problem. But these moto specific rated oils are basically provided for the ease of consumer choice.

There are many, many oils on the market that may well pass these moto specific testing procedures, yet are not marketed towards the moto niche.

Conventional wisdom, as ignorant as it often is, has stated that moly will cause a problem in wet clutch bikes. The fact that Redline is an oil that uses very high amounts of moly, yet there are very few, if any, reports of it causing one bit of problem with such machines, is very convincing evidence that the general public consensus on motorcycle engine oils is, for the most part, ignorant.

There will always be those who claim you need to use only MA rated fluid, or risk certain damage or problems. But those folks usualy have some sort of stake in you purchasing MA rated fluids.
Either that, or they are simply passing along misconception and myth.

I am running it in my zx10 now. I have 1k miles on it and its been doing good(as far as I can tell with shifting). I have to mail order it so its rather expensive for me. I am going to get it tested at 3k miles but will probibly switch back to mobile mx4t unless the test impresses me.

I am using Redline MTL in my 2006 Harley Lowrider primary. It is superior to the HD primary lubricant and motor oil. No clutch slip at all and MTL has a GL4 rating with a pour point like 5w30 motor oil so your bike doesn't lurch when it's cold and you shift into first gear. I am very satisfied.

FYI, I spoke with the oil tech at Redline and there is no moly in MTL so it will not do any damage to a wet clutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back