I NEED OPINIONS ON HONDA ST1300 OIL CHOICE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting ready for my second oil change on this bike. (5000 miles) Between the oils listed below what are your opinions? I live in the hot high desert area of SO CAL.

01) M1 15-50 EP (Gold cap)

02) M1 VTwin 20-50 Harley oil

03) M1 15-50 4 stroke MC oil.

04) Delo 400 15-40

I used M1 15-50 MC oil on the first change at 600 miles with no problems so far. I have read so much about MC oils I am wondering if I should change????? I am a firm believer in synthetic lubrication products, but I also buy Delo 400 15-40 in bulk for my tractors and from what I've read it appears to be a GREAT oil for MC's that use the engine oil to lube the trans.

Help!
dunno.gif

Water cooled ST 1300 what a nice bike.
No problem using the Delo 15w40.
Or a Syn 10w40 of your choice.
I know the bike will run cooler with the 40 weight also. The past Honda seminars I have been to, they were telling us to stop running any 50 weights in water cooled street bikes.

That makes sence. A water cooled engine will have tighter clearances due to it not running as hot as an air cooled engine. I bet the piston skirt clearance on a Harley is a bit on the loose side for expansion. That's most likely why Harley specs a 50 weight oil.

Consider adding Rotella Syn to your list.
Good oil as well as those mentioned.

The ST1100 was one of the bikes that had problems with Mobil-1 red cap; RC-51 was the other. At least some of them did. The whole problem might have been overblown as well.

A former member of the vfr discussion web page website who tested oil and engines for a living advised Mobil 1 20-50 as the best oil.

It too is a v-four engine, from Honda, with four valves per cylinder.

Think he works in San Antonio at Southwest Research Center ? My understanding was he works with engine manufactures and oil product designers and lets them know the results.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Problem solved, 'Skinner.

Your bike will be much happier with a 10W-40. The MCF 10W-40 is superb stuff, as you can see by the UOA.

For bikes, Mobil 1 only offers their MX4T 10W-40 or V-Twin 20W-50. None of their 15W-50 oils are friction-modifier free.

Go here for a free test kit (you still have to pay for the test, though).

With a new bike, a UOA is highly recommended, if for no other reason than to give you a baseline for warranty issues that might come up.

I have heard a lot of folks on the Honda ST forum state they have swithced to M1 15-50 gold cap oil VS M1 MC oil. Their reasoning is price if you can believe that! I only have to change oil once a year for what little I ride, so putting out $8.00 a quart X 4 is not a horrible thing.

I will go ahead and stay with the M1 MC oil. I take it I should not go to the Vtwin 20-50 M1??

If you like Mobil 1.
Than I would go with MX4T 10w-40.
IMO your motor will run much better with that than 20w-50.

I think M1 10W40, Amsoil 10W40 or 15W40, or Rotella 5W40 or 15W40 would work great for you.

My picks are Amsoil and the Shell Rotella.

I too live in So.Cal and I like the 15W-50 Mobil 1 in my 1000cc water cooled in-line 4. The only difference I can tell between 10W-40 and 15W-50 is the shift quality holds up better with the 15W-50 oil. I have never been able to determine that a 10W-40 runs cooler in my bike than a 15W-50 or that my bike makes more power with the 10W-40, I also can't say that my bike runs cooler with synthetic oil rather then dino, with our hot summers and day after day of 100 plus I just feel better with a heavier synthetic oil. I change every 4000 miles and figure by then the 15W-50 Mobil 1 is pretty well sheard and close to a 40 weight anyway. I don't have a clue if I'm doing the right thing, never keep a bike long enough to wear out but then I don't have any mechanical problems either.

I personally like valvoline 10W40 M/C oil in my goldwing. have used it for about 160,000 miles. (2 bikes)It helps the clutch grab better and does not cause the trans clunck that happens with other oils by 4,000. I still change every 5,000 miles. Tim

I ride an ST100 and have had good luck with Delo 15W40 and RTS 5W40. I do a 5000 mi OCI right now. I am putting lots of miles on the bike so I thought that I would run a series of oil tests with different brands and post the UOAs here. I plan on testing each at 3000 and 5000 miles. I'll be sending the first sample in a couple of weeks. So, if you are interested, check the UOA forum now and then.

If it were me, I would go with M1 10W40 under your riding situation. You're not changing oil frequently enough for the cost difference to be significant. While the 20W50 would probably work fine, your engine is more suited for 10W40 even for where you live. Amsoil's 10W40 MC oil would probably be a good choice also. Considering you only do about 5000 miles/year an MC oil may be better because of the greater amount of corrosion inhibiters for when the bike sits unused for extended periods.

Okay. I changed the oil using M1 MC 10-40 oil. It's $8.99 per QT here, but I want the best I can get for my baby. As I said before, I only change it once a year anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back