Buying cycle, need advice 3yr 3.5K no oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Title says it all. 2003 Yamaha V-star 650, 3,500 miles, oil never changed. Dealer says they come with dino. I haven't confirmed, but assuming owner has rode miles evenly through out time.. (hoping!)

I'm worried what kind of problems dino for 3 years could do in a motorcycle. Oxidation/acids eating rings? Or is 3K not enough to worry about?

Thanks!

If somebody is too lazy to change the oil in a 3 year period, I'd knock $1500 off the price without question.

Laziness is inexcusable.

Its already a pretty good price, thats why I'm still considering it. I was just hoping that this situation wouldn't really be 'that' bad...

Yes they come with dino (yamalube)
It will be just fine. Ride it, get the oil good and hot than change the oil&filter. Refill with the oil of your choice. And enjoy your new ride.

Run a short oci and then hdeo or syn like a 5-40 rotella syn to get more cleaning action. I don't know type required by warranty which I assume has run. Redline is another choice or maintenance doses of ARX.

That is not to bad. I was looking at a 1999 Sportster with 1,500 miles and it had been sitting sence 2000 with the original oil and 6 year old gas........******* people!!!!

Just because it's a 2003 model doesn't mean it was sold in 2003. It could have been sold one or two years later. The registration should say when it was first sold.

It's not like the bike sat there with pure acid in the crankcase. Biggest problem with little used bikes is carburetor gumming and/or seal shrinkage.

If it seem to run good, and the price is good, buy it and take care of it.

Regards, Gary in Sandy Eggo

I purchased a 2000 Yamaha V Star 650 Custom back in January that had 1267 miles on it. The bike looked brand new, was kept in an enclosed metal farm building and was serviced at the 600 mile interval when first bought. The original owner put 800 miles on it the first year and then roughly 100 miles a year after that.
I changed the oil when I got it home and used the Mobil V twin oil. It runs great on this oil but most likely on the next change, will go with the Shell Rotella synthetic.

I've turned up the idle, and has seemed to help. Also have run 60 miles with 8oz seafoam/4 gallons gas. Perhaps has helped also.
New plugs and air filter.
Runner better, but I still think I may have to clean the carbs.
I've changed the oil twice now, in < 150 miles.
each time, it turns black as soon as I restart the engine. There must be some oil in the clutch or something. Is there a way to change out ALL the oil? Current oil is Delo 15-40. I want to put M1 cycle oil in, but want to get a full change when I do.

Keep doing the short oil changes. Use cheap oil, it will work well enough for a few hundred miles(10W-40).
Two or three more will likely do it.
You could put some MMO in with the oil and run that mix for 2-300 miles then dump it out.
Even cheap Fram filters every other short change would keep costs down.
It should start cleaning up before to long.
Then go with a good oil and filter.

I would not worry about the synthetic Rotella. Use the dino 15w40 and do some more short oil change intervals to clean it out some more. I use the dino Rotella all the time in my V-Star 1100. One good thing is that engine has been around a long time in it's basic configuration and my most accounts is pretty bullet proof. They do seem to run pretty high rpms at highway speeds until you get used to it but they are made to run that way. Anyway it is a nice little scoot you have there, enjoy it and be safe.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back