Best $10 you can spend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use it towards an oil change or the upgraded car wash package with "wax" sprayed on. It's really a silicone emulsion with maybe a little paraffin or carnauba wax but it's better than nothing for your paint.

If the PCV valve had never been replaced, it would probably be time to replace it. However, not all engines have one and some engines have far more expensive PCV systems.

One thing I notice in a lot of cars that boggles my mind because it's so cheap ($1-5) and easy to fix is sanitizing the HVAC system with a disinfectant spray periodically; i.e. spraying Lysol down the intake.

You could probably find a basic multimeter at Wal-Mart or Harbor Freight for $10. Lots of people here probably have more expensive ones, but a cheap one is better than nothing.

Originally Posted By: Zen_
One thing I notice in a lot of cars that boggles my mind because it's so cheap ($1-5) and easy to fix is sanitizing the HVAC system with a disinfectant spray periodically; i.e. spraying Lysol down the intake.

I found something at Dollar tree called "Chase's Spray disinfectant-- linen scent" that worked great for clearing the HVAC system of my wife's prius after it had been sitting for a while.

Remember there's a lot of thin aluminum in an evaporator and you don't want to spray stuff that's too corrosive (bleach) down there.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Did you see the pics I posted at the top of the page? As mentioned I've used Gumout Regane High Mileage and noticed zero difference after using it. Maybe if I used a double dose it would have made a difference but the directions don't state to do that.

Another reason I've used it is to eliminate pinging in the engine. I don't fill it completely up with the premium. Only for top offs and will do it for a few runs around an oil change. Initial acceleration is much better. People were on my tail and some would raise their hands as if to gesture why I'm accelerating too slow. Not anymore.

The only thing you've proven is pretty much what everyone here already knew. Don't buy c-rap gas from a c-rap station. By from a known TopTier provider and you'll be fine. Running higher octane is only going to cause excessive carbon buildup in the long run which compounds the problem you had already which was again build-up from running c-rap lower detergent fuel. You can claim you can feel it just like I can claim one oil vs. another feels better. They are both unsubstantiated and baseless. Gumout & the like do in fact work or else no one would use them, injectors do get clogged and valves to get dirty from again less than ideal fuel.

Also if your engine pings, you have something else wrong that you need to address. Throwing a higher octane fuel at it is a band aid fix for a bigger issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zen_

I get a chemical that is made just for cleaning air conditioning ducts. It is made by Interdynamics and I pay about $7 per can at Autozone. It isn't always on a shelf, often someone has to get it from the supply room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back