Electra Glide Standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
Soon I'll be on two wheels, again; this time legally so! I just bought an EG and I'll be on the road as soon as I complete the MSF course and get my motorcycle endorsement. Here are some links to photos I took of the beast at the dealership:

Frontal View

Left Rear View

"Artistic" Batwing View

I just HAD to show you guys!
patriot.gif

P.S. I almost forgot... I'll be initially using HD 360 20W-50 in the engine, and HD Formula+ in the trans and primary (as per the Factory fill), but at the first oil change I'll be switching to HD SYN3 in the engine, and I'll likely stick with HD Formula+ everywhere else. And I'll be using a chrome HD 5-micron oil filter. I'm such a MOCO guy now! (Actually, as part of my purchase deal I get the first two years of maintenance free, so I have to stick with HD products for at least that period. I'll have to pay extra for the SYN3.)

[ June 14, 2006, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: Big O Dave ]

I tried the SYN3 everywhere At the 1k dealer service. I just had the 5k service done, and had the Formula+ put back in the primary/trans. Seem to shift alot better. Went back to the 360 in the engine too. The SYN3 is probably not a bad idea for the engine, but I'm not so sure about the transmission. 05 FLHT with 10k service agreement thru North Texas H-D. They charge $5 per qt. extra for the SYN3.

Nice bike. I rode an EGSport from Charlotte up through Niagara, across Canada to Michigan to Atlanta and back to Charlotte. Took me a week...bike ran great the whole time.

I have been running synthetic in all 3 holes for a couple years now on my Road King Classic. For the motor I think its beneficial being air cooled. I like Amsoil better than Syn3 but thats just personal opinion. Lots of my buddies have always ran dino and never had any probs. Enjoy the scooter, very nice.

I just changed my H-D Roadking (1996 EVO)over to Mobil 1 V-Twin. Have always run Amsoil 75W90 in the trans and H-D primary oil in the primary. Left the tranny oil in about 10,000 miles and it got notchy. Noticed improvement when fresh tranny oil was added...think I'll change tranny oil every 5,000 from now on and primary every 3,000. Am hoping for improved milage with syn in the crankcase...we'll see...leaving for trip up through Vermont weekend of June 24th.
wink.gif

Big O Dave,

Nice looking ride - I had a HD for about 11 years, loved it, now I'm riding a Valkyrie, and love it.

The truth is, I like just about all bikes...

RevRider

Thanks for the link. I've got an 05 FLHTI in black also. I run the new amsoil MCV20w50 in all three holes and like the performance. I change every spring. Today was 94 degrees here and I put 102 miles in it in the heat of the day with no pinging or any other sign of overheating. The ride was a 50/50 mix of old town traffic and 65-75mph highway.

quote:

Originally posted by oldblueglide:
Hey Dave..Check out this forum full of electra glide owners. Nice group of guys with lots of useful info. Sometimes they even discuss oil... http://forums.delphiforums.com/electraglide1/start

Here's a couple more for you:
V Twin Forum
Harley Chat Group
FLHRSEI.ORG

And they most definately do talk about oil, although "talk" might be an understatement.
You might get some flames about going with the SYN3 vs Mobile1 or AMSoil or whatever, but since it's part of the service package, you'll probably survive!

o, btw, my scoot is an 05 Road Glide.

Holy Cow Big O Dave bought a bike just like mine. You gotta put some covers on those rear floorboards. Nice ride!! I think you are gonna love it. Just did 800 miles on mine this past weekend to visit my oldest son. 75 - 85 mph on the interstate is where that thing will really shine. Congrats ans safe riding.....

04 Roadglide here. Currently running HD formula+ in the tranny, Rotella 15/40 dino in the primary and Valvoline Maxlife 20-50 (FREE) in the engine. I usually use Valvoline Racing 20-50 in this bike but the price was so good on the maxlife...

I would love to have the lighted ones, they are my first choice. I however have some that have the Harley logo and just go on with two screws, I hated having to drill holes in the aluminum floorboards but got over it...

Well, I had put my deposit on the vivid black FLHTI, and when I went over to the dealer on June 23 to finalize the deal, just after my last post (above) and while I was there, I fell in love with a black pearl FLHXI, and got that instead. It had already had the Stage 1 95" kit installed and the chrome front end...

...and now I'm takin' it in on Tues, Aug 1, for its 1,000 mile service, and to have the oil cooler and oil temp gauge installed.

I changed the oil and filter at 500 miles, and used the H-D 5-micron filter and the H-D "360" 20W-50 oil.

So far it has run flawlessly, averaging 43 mpg, smooth and torquey. I love the way it handles the curves and it is very comfortable.

Of course, just a few weeks later, H-D came out with the '07s, which have 96" engines and six-speed trannys, but I have no regrets!

I just love H-D touring bikes.
patriot.gif

I am glad you are loving your Street Glide. I like them as well and the Black Pearl is a grat color. I hate they did the bigger engines just after we got 06 Glides but, I am getting 47 - 48 mpg with my standard and I am a left lane hog. This thing just rocks on the interstate. I still have my V-Star but it is now relegated to commuter status and ridden daily. But for the trips over 20 miles out comes the Glide. By the way I am on my second oil change and from here out will be Mobil 1 15w40 in the crankcase and Mobil 1 75w90 in the tranny. Rotella for the clutch. May try Fuel Tanker Man's recommendation of Havoline 20w50 but really do not want to have to change every 2500 miles hence the Mobil 1 and 5000 mile changes. Be safe on the road......Seldon

Welcome to the Geezer Glide Club
cheers.gif

I have an 01 FLHT, have 35K on it now and have had nothing go wrong with it. Had to add a Stereo though.

I have been running Harley filters, Rotella-T 15w40 in the Engine and Primary (its good enough for my PSD, its good enough for Carmen The ElectraGlide) and Mobil-1 75w90 in the Tranny.

Pics of mine before the Stereo

[ August 04, 2006, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: 02PSD4ME ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back