Oil recommendation - 1979 Kawasaki KZ400

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ler

Hi guys,

I'm new to motorcycles and got myself a KZ400- what's a good oil to run in aircooled bikes? I got some Rotella T 15w-40 last week, but looking at some old posts, worry that the lower flashpoint will be a bad thing.

Is it OK to use, or should I return what I bought for some Delvac or Delo 15w-40?

Thanks for the help,
Ler

I got a 78 kz 400, You will like that bike very much.I love mine although it is down right now.
frown.gif

Your rotella will be perfect choice for that bike.

These bike are as reliable as they get.

Here is a kawasaki forum if you have any tecnical ?'s.

cheers.gif

The FP of most oil is well above the oil temp you see in bike (I've seen 300-310f aircooled stuck in parade traffic hot day). And the FP of even the higher rated oils is well below the temps of the really hot spots inside the engine that contact is unavoidable. So I'm not so sure a 20-30f difference in rating really means a whole lot. Looks great on a chart though, LOL.

Ler, I'm sure 15-40 Rotella will work just fine. I had a 1976 KZ 400 back then, I traded up to a KZ 650 in 1979, which I still have today along with my 1992 Kawaski Concours. I been using the Rotella 5-40 syn in my Concours with out any problems the last few years.
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back