clarify something for me please..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently use the Polaris brand 0w40 synthetic in my ATV"s...The book says any full synthetic with a API SH will suffice..question does an API SM/CF or API SM SL/CF fall in that catagory..does it exceed the Polaris requisit or does it not meet it....im lacking in the terminology of oils sorry guys..any help will be greatly appreciated..

Well for "lacking in the terminology of oils" - you ask an excellent question in perfectly sensible terms.

1) quick answer - maybe some/most SM/SL 0W-40 oils will work well in your Polaris
2) better answer - in simple terms SH XW-30 API oils allowed more P (phosphorous) than the newer SL/SM, this shouldn't effect a XW-40, but we have seen a general lowering of P across the board, does your sled need higher P? Yes, I'll wager. On the other hand SM and SL have much, much better engine test protocols which really do lead to a better motor oil. Does this effect a good 0W-40? No, not really because a synthetic should be able to pass these requirements wearing a blindfold.

OK - enough already - the simple thing to do is see if the oil is "backward compatible". Check the website, the bottle, ask the mfr.

For example, look for the SH:

Amsoil 4 stroke 0W-40

cant find anything on there(mobile) website about if the 0w40 is backwards compatible....My POlaris is an ATV not a sled...I rolled the dice and put in the Mobile one......

You'll probably be OK. It is SJ rated - I would say watch out though - that oil has a tendency to thin. It does great in cars - but is not specifically designed for ATV's, etc.

Send an email to Mobil and Polaris asking if Mobil 1 0W-40 is OK in your ATV. Polaris might not agree.

Sorry I had Snowmobile on the brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back