Oil Suggestions for a Yamaha FJ1200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a 1987 Yamaha FJ1200 and would like some suggestions on what oil to use.

thanks in advance.

edit...it has about 52,000 miles on it.

Prior I owned a FJ100 and a FJ1200
I always ran a 15w40 diesel motor oil in them. Like Rotella or my Fav. Motorcraft.
This was while I lived in Nevada. It held up very well in the heat out there.I worked for Yamaha for a number of years,70's.80's These are very good bikes. If you don't want to run a diesel oil and your pocket book allow's than Mobil 1 15w50EP is a good choice as is 10w40 Amsoil.
I would also suggest getting some Lube-Control to add to the oil.http://www.lubecontrol.com/ Enjoy the bike!

so an HD would be good for the wet clutch?

oils that are readily available that i've found were
Valvoline 4-stroke oil in 10w40 and 20w50

and then the More expensive Amsoil in both weights as well.

is the Valvoline considered a weak blend in this Motorcycle oil?

should i go with the 10w40 or 20w50?

Bikes of that vintage and milage tend to start weeping at the gaskets when switched over to synthetics (my experience, not a rule). I'd go the 15w40 or pick up a case of 10w40 or 20w50 on sale, car oil is fine.

rotella syn 5w-40 is not a "true" synthetic. it's group III and i have heard of people not having problems with leaks in higher milage cycles.
i think the valvoline u are talking about isnt synthetic. when i saw it at pepboys, it was really expensive, and others say its not worth it.

I would stay with a 15w40 or a 10w40.
Any(quality)oil in this range will serve you well.

I guess i just stick with my Havoline then
smile.gif

thanks guys.

Valvoline Motorcycle oil is reported to shear more quickly that many others. I find my poor-man's shear detector (my shifting foot) to agree with that finding. Any of the HDEO's (Castrol Tecktion, Delo, Delvac, Rotella) should do fabulous in your MC. They are CHEAP, compared to most other oils, too. Good luck with whatever you decide!

JK,
i tested the "new" Valvoline Motorcycle oil (jaso ma rated) and it was horrid!!! shifting was instantly and noticably worse than any other oil i've tried (and it is a long list). it sheared down pretty quick too and as noted above, is kind of pricey. now, considering how poorly it performed, it is a really BAD deal. changing the oil restored good shifting.
havoline -> EEEEK!
recently tested that as well. 10w40 SL didn't hold up at all. shifted fine for 2 hours or so, but that's it. after 2+ hours that oil was thrashed. my uoa's are in the proper forum to show this.

jk,

what bike did u learn on?? im considering getting one in the next couple years. im thinking about a ninja 250/500 or gs500. think these are good choices? only experience i have is riding fourwheelers (besides riding on the back of a dirtbike).

oh man don't ask me

i have very little experience riding a bike

i bought this one for fairly cheap, i realize thats a pretty big bike but its nowhere near as fast as the newer crotch-rockets and such.

i've ridden my dad's old Yamaha 400 XS and that is a pretty simple bike to ride.

i think a Ninja would be an excellent bike to start with though, small bike easy to handle, not overly powered and such.

good luck with your buy
smile.gif

I've had great results (seat-of-the-pants, not OA) with Amsoil 10W-40 AMO: I would not hesitate to use their AME 15W-40 product, either.

Shifts like butter! You want your engine to last a long time.

Cheers!

I had an '87 fj1200. I always used 15w-40 or the yamaha 20w-40.

Yamaha asks for 20w-40 in warm weather and 10w-30 in cool weather for this bike. Given your bike is air cooled, I'd recommend amsoil or redline 10w-40. Alternatively, a good HDEO 15w-40 will also work well.

Go easy in second gear on this bike. The gear dogs and windows in this gear tend to get rounded off. If your bike seems to "slip" in second gear, it's not a bad clutch, it's the famous second gear problem.

Enjoy the bike...it's a classic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back