Why Rotella?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just put Rotella T (5w/40 blue jug) in my '98 Goldwing (new-used bike). I'm going to run a UOA on it at the end of the season. On the few of the 'Wing message boards I belong to Rotella seems to be the oil of choice for these bikes.

Lots of reasons to use Rotella in a bike I think. It's a Group III synthetic with good viscosity range for the application, has high levels of anti wear additives compared to an SM PCMO, and contains no friction modifiers that might cause problems with wet clutches. It's also relatively cheap and very available. What's not to like.

quote:

Originally posted by Lorenzo:
...Is there something about this type of oil that makes it beneficial to a motorcycle engine?...

Yes, Rotella is more beneficial to motorcycles when compared to various PCMO's (Passenger Car Motor Oils) because it shares some of the common strengths found in motorcycle specific oils, such as being able to typically handle higher temperatures, higher shear, higher loads, heavier duty detergent / dispersant package, etc.

PCMO's today have limitations on their additive packages where as HDEO's (Heavy Duty Engine Oils) like Rotella are not as limited, especially when it comes to additives such as zinc and phosphorous. PCMO's are more commonly friction modified to reduce friction where as HDEO's currently have higher static, dynamic & time indexed friction properties that more closely match motorcycle specific oils, which is needed for compatibility with wet clutches.

Rotella is a decent choice for motorcycles in my opinion, but there are no guarantees that HDEO's will continue to be as good of choice because they do not have to meet the same specs that JASO MA rated motorcycle oils must meet. I personally think that HDEO's will change a great deal within ~1.5 years from now to meet the needs for the new vehicles designed for ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel), which will soon be phased in over the coming years. Newer diesel vehicles will likely have catalytic converters, EGR system, etc, and I'm guessing that oil companies will have to reduce their zinc and phosphorous and choose other anti-wear / extreme pressure, etc, additives and chemistries to better suit the needs of the newer diesel vehicles we'll be seeing in the future. When this happens, then oils like Rotella 'might' not be as good of a choice for motorcycles as they are today.

I just might buy up a little Rotella, as well as Delo 15-40 whenever I find it on a good sale. It's already easy to find the Delo 15-40 at less than 8.00 per gallon. It really works well in my motorcycles.

I notice many of you use Shell Rotella which seems to be intended for diesel engines. Is there something about this type of oil that makes it beneficial to a motorcycle engine? Does it make a difference if it's an air-cooled pushrod engine vs. high reving liquid cooled inline?

Thanks in advance for the education.

quote:

Originally posted by Lorenzo:
I notice many of you use Shell Rotella which seems to be intended for diesel engines. Is there something about this type of oil that makes it beneficial to a motorcycle engine?....

The way I understand it, the lack of friction modifiers is what makes Rotella good for motorcycles, because the clutch shares the oil with the engine.

They're all good IMO, the 15w40, 5w40's. My theory is rotella has become popular in the bike circles mainly from the internet. There's a few MC oil info sites that have been up for quite afew years and get alot of search hits. The info then spreads to forums like this and snowballs. Before rotella, delvac was the buzz in the bike world. I've run chevron, unocal and probably some others, they all worked well in my bikes.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm currently using Mobil1 gold cap 15W50, but I'll probably switch to Rotella next oil change.

Rotella is a good MC oil according to the lab tests I have seen except for one thing. It, like so many non-specific MC oils, won't hold it's viscosity in a shared sump. I have found this to be true in my Goldwing and I have seen the results of several tests on this website that show it won't hold up. However, if you don't mind frequent oil changes, tests show you will be OK. I want at least 4000 before I change.
Robin

Robin,

I am curious, what motorcycle specfic oil have you used, or seen an analysis report on, that stayed in grade and didn't shear?

RevRider

Hi RevRider
I guess you could say I am still looking, but I am pretty well satisfied with the test results obtained from this site. "motorcycle UOA section".
Your own test on the 1300 says a lot for Amsoil. My personal experience with Blackstone was with some Castrol ActEvo 10w40 which was tested at 4000 after being run in my GL1800. I wish I could afford to test more but I have to take other riders word for it. The Castrol was a thirty weight at the 4000 mile mark. Not good for a Motorcycle specific oil. I am now running amsoil and will let Blackstone have a sample at 4000 and then I'll see what I want to do.Some of the ester base oils seem to be holding grade but I can get amsoil easier and cheaper than them. I'll post my amsoil results as soon as i get it tested.
Robin

I just got 4 gallons of valvoline premium blue synthetic, and one gallon of premium blue conventional, two cans of seafoam, and 4 stratapore filters for my bike after reading this thread!!

Oh....all i had to pay was a M&M Blizard! Its nice having friends .......that work the nightshift!!LOL!
i changed out my oild tonight, and i gota go for about a 300 mile round trip bright and early tomorrow....i hope my tranny quits chattering!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back