Alternative to Polaris 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own 2 2005 Polaris 800 EFI ATV"S...I add a few ounces to both quads between changes and I use currently the polaris oil 0w40....can you guys reccomend a different better oil for my quads?

I also use the Amsoil 0W40 in my Sportsman. I still use the Polaris Tranny and hub oil though.

This is what AMSOIL also says about the 0W40.

Excellent For Transmissions AMSOIL Formula 4-Stroke® Power Sports is wet clutch compatible and contains no friction modifiers, making it ideal for both two- and four-stroke ATV transmissions. The friction modifier free formulation is designed to prevent clutch slippage, delivering maximum torque and power to the wheels – a critical feature for towing or high-horsepower engines.

Polaris doesn't have a wet clutch, so the JASO MA rating isn't needed. The Amsoil OW40 works just fine in a wet clutch. I have used it in my dirt bike for late fall riding and it works great.

Just a guess but Polaris's 0w40 may be a one size fits all that can used in their 4 stroke snowmobiles and work quads used in arctic temps. If your running the quad around in warmer climates I'm sure an off the shelf 10w40, 15w40, 20w50 give good service. Wouldn't sweat the MA rating or be concernd about friction modifier with your CVT clutch system. No wet clutch, no gearbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back