Rotella T 15-40 got dirty fast in my VL800

Status
Not open for further replies.
6300 miles on an 03 Suzuki VL800 805 cc w/c, 2200 mi oci and the Rotella is very dark in the sight glass after 100 miles. I had a 10-40GTX/ 10-30 Amsoil 3/1 mix in for the 2200 miles. P/O had a brand name racing oil in when I bought it.
Should I be concerned about the dark color ?

The Rotella is likely rinsing any left over oil that was left in the crank case out. It won't hurt a thing. Next time around it will stay cleaner longer. HDEO is very high detergent stuff.

Don't worry about the color, change of color doesn't mean it's bad. It COULD mean it is cleaning something up, but, color change by itself doesn't mean it is bad. Go by shifting feel, since yours is a wet clutch (isn't it?), and degradation in shifting is a sign it is time to change.

arkainzeye.........The racing oil didn't bother me, probably a 20-50 wt. w/a heavy duty add pak.
I think he said it way Valvoline.

Titan.......Shifting is much improved now and it is a wet clutch.

Thanks

Think color change is just a chemistry thing, like titan posted doesn't means it went bad. Worse oil (poor choice of words) for this I've seen was Valvoline Turbo oil, it'd go dark driving around the block but worked super in a toyota turbo I used it in. Come to think of it the valv turbo was probably repackaged diesel oil because it was a 15w40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back