Any problem with adding extra oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a MC that shares engine/transmission oil. The manual calls for 3.6 liter (3.80 quart) when changing the oil. I usually buy oil by the gallon and wanted to know if it would be a problem to just round it off. It really doesn't look like that much extra.

BTW I hate having gallons and quarts laying around w/ oil in the bottom.

Depending upon how the clutch pack sits in the oil, and how much the crankshaft dips into the oil, yes, you could be asking for some trouble. It could show up as clutch balkiness and foaming/frothing of the oil as it is whipped by the crank. Then again, it could be there is no difference. You just have to ask yourself, what is more "hated"? Balky clutch action with whipped oil, or a dab in a bottle bottom? If I had your same hate, I'd put the correct volume in the crankcase and take the remainder to a recycler and pour it into their tank.

If you over fill the engine...& it sounds like you did, the oil will pump up through the breather & end up in your airbox. Check you air filter & see if its wet with oil. Not a good thing to do

Any bike I ever had I had to run the oil level just a little on the low side to keep oil out of the airbox. So I woould have to say it's probebly not good to over fill one.

Don't overfill. Like he said you will end up with oil in the aibox or worse oil aireation causing loss of oil pressure. You will also discover that the figures in the manual are not always correct. Put about 8 ounces less than called for and then work up.

Use the sight glass or dip stick if you have one. More times than not I find the "book" volume to be too much oil, so I wouldn't round up to kill the jug.

Thanks for the replies guys, I did not overfill, I just have a bunch of quarts and jugs with a very little amount of oil at the bottom. I'll probably pour the leftover stuff in my gallon jug of Rotella T 15w-40. I always go right in the middle of the sight glass after riding 30 min to a couple hours. I also wait 5 minutes after shuting the engine off..

One extra quart of oil on top of nearly 4 quarts isn't all that much too much. Like was said earlier, most bikes will blow out what it doesn't like.

My old Virago 920 would get rid of the top half of the sight glass of oil in a 100 mile ride. Then the oil level would stay there for the next 2000+ miles.

My 1999 Intruder 1400 uses NO oil between 5000 miles oil changes. It starts at the full mark and ends up at the full mark 5000 miles later (well, it might be down about 1/8-inch.

Regards, Gary in Sandy Eggo

shocked.gif

Ha-ha that's what I thought, I was kinda scratching my head for a second. It may work out as my dirt bike holds 1.05 quarts, I could always use the extra in that.

OT, I may just switch to the Shell 5w-40 over the Amsoil MCF (10w-40). It's a difference of $8.00 for the amsoil and $3.92 for the Rotella 5w-40. I'm thinking of running 2 quarts of Rotella 5w-40 and 2 quarts of M1 15w-50 for the summer and straight 5w40 for the winter.

This seems like maybe a good idea as it would save money and all are available cheaper at Wal-Mart. I mean is the Amsoil that much better ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back