10W-60 recommended in new Husqvarna--what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have been using Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 in my Toyota Tundra and 3 motorcycles ('05 Suzuki DL1000, '03 SV650, and '03 DRZ400S) with great satisfaction. However, we are buying a '06 Husqvarna TE250 for my wife next Saturday and the recommendation is to use Agip 10w60 synthetic. It is a higher compression, competition-ready dirt bike (water cooled) compared to my DRZ dual-sport. I am concerned about the 20W difference by using Rotella 5w40...any suggestions or comments?

Thanks,
Trent

Who recommends the 10/60? The dealer or Husky? What does your owner's manual say?

10/60 sounds a little extreme.

I'm not fussy about using 5/40(group 3 synthetics) in bikes but that's just me.

I would think a high quality 10/40, 15/50 or 20/50 synthetic would be good.

Definitely stick with what Husky recommends unless you can add an oil pressure gauge and you know what the minimum oil pressures are. (I'm all for thinner oils, but when a manufacturer recommends a 60-weight its usually indicative of some unique characteristic of the motor that really needs it.)

FWIW, The manual for my KTM 640 recommends 10w-40, 50 or 60 below 40F and 15w-40, 50 or 60 above that. I use 15w50.

I'd run M1 15w-50 Extended Performance if possible, but I'm not familiar with the whole friction modified controversey with motorcycle wet clutches.

Otherwise, BMW has a 10w-60 racing oil (Castrol Produced) avaliable at all BMW dealers for > $10/qt as all late-model M3s use 10w-60.

Thanks everyone. I just looked at the online manual and it is Agip 10w60 synthetic. I can buy this online for about $8 a liter, but I am thinking of just using the Mobil 1 15W50 that was recommended. This doesn't have friction modifiers or an "Energy Conserving" oil is it? I have used the old red cap Mobil 1 (I think 15W50) and the MX4T (10W40) in the past, but not this.

Thanks,

Trent

I think the Mobil 1 15/50(gold cap) is a good choice. Look in the VOA section and you will see it has less moly than Mobil's own bike oils.

trent,
try Exxon Superflow 20w50 and change it every 5 hours or less. it has been proven to handle anything that husky can dish out.

I have plenty of experience using M1 15-50 in race bike engines. It works very well indeed.

In fact, my Mazda Miata turbo was run on M1 15-50 for all of it's 300-400hp turbo race car life. The parts measured out within new specs after 120K miles! I understand A turbo miata is not a bike, however the differences are not as great as you might at first expect.

Chris

Not sure what they're doing now but some of the early husky 4 strokes were built on roller bearing bottom ends (like the 2 strokes). They used a unique oiling system that usee crankcase pressure and reed valves to push the oil up top. In otherwords NOT your typical pressure fed plain bearing 4 stroke motor. If this is still the case I would take heed to their oil recomendation (at least the viscosity).

I'd really like to see how fast the 10w60 cuts it's viscosity. I wonder what the change interval would be?

I would probably guess a good 20w50 would work well in that application if it's not too cold outside.

quote:

Originally posted by 47HO:
Ever considered a straight 60 wt, especially in the summer Georgia heat?

Actually I was wondering what the Amsoil synthetic SAE 60 multi-vis weight was. Since the SAE 30 is a multi-vis 10w30 I would guess maybe the SAE 60 would be a 10 or 15 w 60? I don't know.

The SAE 60 is Jaso MA rated though.

have a friend give-up his trustie and baja proven
xr400 for a new husky a few years ago.husky recommended only two oils;agip or motul oils both fine expensive oils.due to the cost,he decided to use 15-40 swep oil(very good oil)..blew the eng in short order..he learn a hard lesson..he now owns several restored norton 500 manx'sand races several of them.he uses a special 50wt silkoline oil.he makes one of the best shocks one could put on a bike and only uses the best materials in his shocks.

husky lessen learned,,use the oil recommended,or one at lease as good or better.red line is also
a top tier oil...mach1 yamaha race team, in ama supermoto searies is using red line 5w20 race oil.their mech. got a little bit of horse on the dino.ask dave at motul and he'll recommend 15w50.
he says the few power runs on the dino give flash
hp readings but at the end of a 20 lap main,the light weight oil will have less hp vs 300v 15w50.
the factory super moto suzuki of kevin swanchanz use 20w60 300v..the factory ktm team uses a motorex racing oil 20w 60 in their bikes.the pro cirit kawa team 250f uses 5w40 ester from maxima ultra.some fact.some 250f suzuki teams are using motul e100 10w40 with excellent results.

60w's are pretty common with the big inch harley motors, might try your nearist hog shop.

Trent its' been over a month now, how about a review of the new 250cc?

My KTM 525 EX/C "requires a X-W50 as well. I have been running Rotella 15W-40 for the past three years with no issues. Dino oil and change often! I dump the oil every 10 operating hours (3 rides).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back