2-stroke tran.incl.wet-clutch what for a Suzuki RG500Gamma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi experts,

would like to know, which oil you would prefer for the 20 years old 2-stroke 4-zylinder street racer Suzuki RG500Gamma.
It has a cassette 6-speed gearbox and a wet clutch, 2 crankshafts and a connecting/pilot shaft, their gears and a damper get also the same, but only the flying around oil (but not sure, if they're still in the sump).
I'm installing new steel and friction (non-kork) plates the next days.
I gave the baby all the last 5 years (~20000km) a fully synthetic Mobil 1 (think 15 or 20W50).
I saw these days this very nice page from Bob with additives http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm and the one with the synth vs. non synth gearbox oil http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/gearoiltest.htm and would like to change for cooling reasons!

I have to say, that it is a wellknown problem of the bike,that it has a more or less draging clutch, so hard to find neutral in stand still and also hard to push the lever with the left hand.

Suzuki says in the manual, to use a quality SAE 20W40 multigrade oil.

I ride in temperatures 45-100°F
What should I use?

SAE 20W40
or ATF
or fullsynth
or 80W85
or 80W90

???

Every help is welcome!
Thanks so far.

Cheers
Carsten (Aachen - Germany)

Carsten,
here is the problem. this bike has NEVER been legal in the USA. so we have zero experience with it. i sat on one in Auckland,NZ back in '00 and the salesman was willing to deal as was i. i told him i would take it with one condition, he had to get it to me in here in texas, usa. his face went sad and he said, "sorry i cannot sell it to you". awesome bike though!
the hard clutch pull is because of the clutch springs and not the oil.
not finding neutral by accident is also a good thing and quite typical of a race oriented bike.

have you considered the Motul v300 line of oil?

That has to be a sweet bike. I've always wanted a modern ring-ringer for the street. Lots of them in Europe, but not here.

No idea on the oil, but as far as hitting neutral, try getting neutral before you come to a complete stop, my Ducati 750 F1 does the same thing.

I have had some experince with these bikes.
If you can buy it there I would use.
76 Lubricants(manufactur)
76 Royal Triton QLT. 15w40
It is a semi-synthetic oil used in Diesel engines.
Or a oil simular in design.
It holds up better than conventional oils that sear down easy in gear boxes,and it won't have a negitive effect on your cluth plates.
When I rode this bike the best shifting was with out the use of the clutch. As for finding neutral.
C.O. had the answer hit neutral while still rolling.

@all
thanks and yes :) , finding neutral before stop, is the most common use ...

@sunruh
if you really really really would like to register a Gamma in the states, I could arrange some contacts for you. A lot of Americans I know of, have registrered ones.
Never tried Motul, searched their page, bu tony found Motul 10W30 and 10W30 Expert, but no v300.

@LC
I searched their page, but they only have 3 sellers in Europe, 2 in UK and one in Norway.
I know some 2-strokers, who use 15W40.
If you prefer the ones for normally Diesel engines to use, what makes it more positive than the ones for gasoline engines?

I’m new in the lubication subject and would like to hear further information for my decicion for a better one than the Mobil 1 fullysynth 15W50 ...

Diesel motor oil does not shear down as fast as conventional auto oils. Mobil 1 fullsynth is good oil. To me it would be a little thick in this transmission. It has been my experence that these tranys shift better with thinner oils.The gears on that bike have real tight tolerances. Making it even more prone for oil shear. Which results in very pore or notchy shifting. Even a straight say 30 weight auto oil would shear less than mobil 1. The other reason is the clutch plates. Some Auto oils contain some very high amounts of molly which over time can effect cluth plates.
Back in the late 70's early 80's I worked for Yamaha and on the TZ750's we would run Gulf Diesel motor oil in the trans. I don't know if they (Gulf) are around anymore though.
Best way is to try it and see for yourself.
A couple runs with a different oil won't hurt anything. And they should cost you a lot less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back