got a new yamaha banshee last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
nothing like a 350cc 2 stroke twin to get the blood pumping. i broke it in via motomans instructions and it now goes like heck. i cant keep the front wheels on the ground in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear. they lift and nothing but letting off the throttle will bring them down.

i dont think i beat on the quad but i will say that i really "use" it to its fullest ability.

i got to thinking about what oil i should use in the transmission. i was thinking sence i have about 15 gallons of castrol tection 15w40, maybe that would be a ok oil?

for the premix, i bought a pint of klotz benol 2cycle premix oil. its expensive though, at 8 bucks a pint but i love the castor oil smell from the exhaust,and so does everyone who rides down trail of me. gotta look for something cheaper than that. i hear the mobil mx2t is a good oil.

mx2t and yamalube 2r are both very good and i've used them with great success in my smoker days.
why not use tranny oil in your tranny?
pennzoil atf type f is not only cheap, but designed for that very job. i used it for years and never had a problem with the tranny either.

You said you bought a NEW Banshee? I didn't think they still made them, due to EPA **. Heck, I can't even find a 2-stroke Lawn-Boy anymore.

You will be fine with the tection,I ran MOBIL DELVAC 15/40 in my KX'S and I am sure the tection has a great package going on. I have known many riders who used ATF in the gearbox without any failures,but I am against it totally.Too thin for loads put on a 2 stroke tranny in the dirt.Tranny oil does not have the #s of antiwear additves that diesel oils have.If you continue to run the Benol clean your exhaust chambers every few rides and if the Banshee does have powervalves, find another oil.Mobil mx2t is a good oil,but I have found out when the bike sits,it likes to leave surface rust on the crank.MAXIMA,MOTUL,AMSOIL,YAMALUBE2-R OR KLOTZ R-50 are all good oils. 32:1 no matter what the oil manufacturer says on the bottle.

I quit motorcyles when there were no more 2 cycle street bikes. I bought a 200 cc Banshee that a girl was selling it was brand new with about a quarter tank of gas used.I like 2 cycles.

Klotz Benol is definently good stuff, but it seems like a bit overkill for a stock engine. I too would go for the Klotz R50 or Mobil1 Racing 2T.
The mobil seems to be a little cleaner for me in my blaster, but I rarely ever use it anymore.
Klotz is a lot cheaper if you order it from rockymountain.

I always used maxima MTL 80wt or the BelRay Gear saver in the transmission, probably overkill..

The Mobil 2T is available at Autozone. Which is a plus for me. You can get it almost anywhere. And Autozone is open 7 days a week. Cost is not bad considering in comes in quart bottles for the same cost as pints of other brands.

i bought it brand new, in the box. this is the last year of the banshee. thats why i had to buy one.

ill probably go with the mx2t at autozone then, seems like a good oil at a good price.

what do you all think i should mix at? the dealer prepped my banshee with 15:1 in the tank for break in with an unknown oil.. probably yamalube 2r, but 15:1 seems excessive to me for a break in, but i went through that tank and didnt foul a plug.
i mixed the klotz at 25:1 (per yamaha's owners manual) and it smokes at idle, even after its been warmed up.

using type f in the trans intrigues me. i guess theres no fm's to mess with my clutch. but is there any aw adds in a type f? would type f be better than a dedicated trans oil, or 15w40 diesel oil?

I'm buying the last year CR250R made. I hear it's this year, but I'm going to wait until the '07's come out to make sure. I'll be using 15w40 HDMO and MX2T.

i went to a few autozones and couldnt find any mx2t, even after asking for it. i ended up buying some valvoline "dirtbike" 2 stroke oil for $3.50 a pint.

man, id love to run mx2t but if its going to be a hassle getting it then whats the point.

Its called mobil 1 racing 2 T now( they changed the name). Use the Klotz if you can't get the mobil. Or even Yamalube 2R.

That stinks you couldn't find it.

I don't know what I would get if my Autozone didn't carry it. Where I live there are not many motorcycle shops nearby. And the ones we do have are closed Sunday and Monday. Autozone is 2 miles from my house and open 7 days a week. My other option is making the trek to a bike shop on tues thru saturday or mail order.

Ive owned several Banshees over the years. A great quad, but kinda heavy. Redline 10/40 in the gear box & some Klots super techno plate for pre-mix. Also try a Toomey 2 into 1 pipe to get rid of the light switch powerband & give alot more torque. makes em sound like a formula one car too.

I sold mine once I found a super clean Fourtrax 250R. Shes a keeper.

I have a 1987 trx 250r. Best bike PERIOD!! Banshees are fast but mine will smoke most. I run redline 2 stroke racing oil premix and racing atf in the tranny. Only the best for the best!!

Your AutoZone man can get the Mobil Racing 2T. Ask him to order and stock it.

Two-stroke dirt bikes are alive and well.

No matter what pre-mix oil you use, you will need to jet the carb at all circuits for your mixture and style of riding.
Don't try to fit the oil to the stock jetting, it is an exercize in futility.
Pick an oil and a ratio and jet the engine for that.

IMO, the groupIII and ester content base of the MX2T would be a much better choice than that of the dino Castrol oil, especialy if you ride the machine hard.
I also think that the Klotz with castor is a great choice for hard riding, but the cost is an overriding factor for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back