Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR

Michigan born but my heart belongs in dixie
I am planning on getting a 2006 H-D 1200 Roadster later this year. I was wonder on what you guys know about this bike. I wanted to know what you guys know about breaking-in a bike like this. When to change the first oil. And what type and wheight of oil to use. I was thinking on using an HDEO syn. Like the new M1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel due in store some time in April. I was wonder how I should ride this bike during break-in. I was thinking moderately hard. Not to lite but not beating the plum life right out of it either. I plan on veried speed, both city and high way driving. And a few runs up close to red lines. I have a few hills in my area . And was thinking of some wot up them at first like I have with a few rebuilt and new engines I have had. I hope my thinking on this style of breaking-in is satisfatory. I was thinking that this is the way the bike will be ridden will I own it. It will be ridden. I mean not the grandma drove it to the store once a week type of vehicle. This baby will be my daily driver and my weekend retreat. I am planning on getting it later this spring. And it will be used for my daily commute to work. Which is all highway. And is about 80 miles round trip straight there and home. I average about 130 miles a day if I do my arens to. And this will be five days a week and then riding on the weekend to. I was hoping you guys would be able to provide me with help on my selection of oil, and choosing an oci, by the way I will be doing UOA's, and how to break-in my baby.
Thank you,
KC

KC, you're break-in sounds fine to me. It's my OPINION that too easy of a break-in is unnecessary at best, and really not so good for power later on at worst. Any good HDEO will probably run fine in that bike. IF you do a lot of high speed runs and/or hot idling, you might want to bump up to a 20-50. Otherwise, a synthetic 5-40 should be fine. If you use mineral oil, I'd suggest a 15-40, for stability reasons.

I believe in breaking in the bike like the owner's manual states.....after all...they built the bike.
I have always broke my engines in on everything I own just as the owner's manual says and have never had any problem what so ever!

Your break-in procedure is pretty dang close to what the manual would probably say.

Just remember that any engine built can fail, no matter how you break it in>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back