Need to Change the 6 month old oil in sump? - Only 6 miles on it

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to change...you got rid of all the corrosives when you changed it before storage. You are fine. Some real anal retentives will argue this but if you tested the oil you would most likely find it's still 95% ok. Next year if you like find a storage additive similar to what they use in marine applications and add 50% of the recommended dose just to make sure. I wouldn't bother but if you are worried shorten your first OCI just to make sure.

Sunruh,

It's a Triumph Sprint ST 955i
It holds 3.2L
OC did not include a new filter. I added about 3L of oil

My thought is the TBN of the HDEO would be pretty strong....but like Skunky says, it would be easy/cheap to change again.

I changed the oil to rotella 15w-40 and rode my bike 6 miles to its storage location for the winter. The bike is stored at room temperature in an underground parkade.

Is there any reason to change this oil when spring comes and I start using the bike again?

jim,
since you did not change the filter. if it were me and my triumph, i would warm it up good (maybe a short ride to put some fresh gas in the tank) and then dump the oil and filter.

quote:

Originally posted by KBFXDLI:
No need to change...you got rid of all the corrosives when you changed it before storage. You are fine.

+2
cheers.gif

It's usually better to put fresh oil in before storage than store with dirty oil. I say change it again in the fall when you put it back up.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim 5:
Sunruh,

It's a Triumph Sprint ST 955i
It holds 3.2L
OC did not include a new filter. I added about 3L of oil

Why are you using a Non-Synthetic? My owners manual calls for the minimum to be at least Semi-Synthetic and the triumph factory fill stuff is full synthetic mobil 1.

I didn't read this before I posted again. If it were mine, I would dump that HDEO and put what the book calls for. These engines put out a lot of power per CC, they can run hot in the summer and I would prefer as much protection as I can get.

PS I have a 2002 sprint ST if you wondered where I was coming from. (Personal experience)

I am running m1 15w-50, and only used the 15w-40 to get from home to the storage place.

I was considering going to the redline 10w-40 or the amsoil 10w-40 as well.

Not sure what I'm going to run, but I had also considered a good HDEO and doing 1k mile OCI's.

Motorcycle lubrication is a different animal, and from the UOA's I've seen, a short OCI seems to be the ticket. For this approach I considered an HDEO. It doesn't get all that hot around here in the spring, but summer heats up and I would be running the M1 15w-50 then. No way i'm paying for the triumph 4T racing stuff.

Hahah the 4T is crazy expensive. If you would like a semi-syn option I did run the Amsoil 15w40 Semi-synthetic Diesel oil for about 4,000 miles as a sort of transision break-in oil. The shifting stayed nice the entire time, and it's less expensive then the full syn 15w40 and the motorcycle oils. Just an option.

BTW, I ran some Delo 400 for about 1,500 miles and the last 500 miles shifting sucked big time. I don't know if it broke down or what.

Here is my drain intervals.

0-500 factory fill oil mobil?
500-2000 Delo 400
2000-6000 Amsoil PCO 15w40 semi-synthetic diesel oil.
6000-12000 Amsoil 10w40 AMF (old formulation)
12000-15000 Amsoil 10w40 AMF (old formulation)

I now have 15,000 on the bike and will be trying the new MCF 10w40. I'll be changing out the oil at about 16000

People keep saying to dump new oil used for storage but I never heard of a proper explanation WHY a new 6 month old oil in sump should be replaced.
I can see some water getting in. Wouldn't it be removed after a good long ride and motor running at the full operating temp?
I would think that oil would not degrade sitting in sump near or below freezing for 6 months.
So my question is what exactly occurs to make you want to dump it?

thanks

maybe the old oil in the filter he didn't change?

naw, that couldn't be it.

or maybe to get rid of any fuel that might have drained into the oil?

naw, surely not that.

moisture that might have gotten in as well?

naw.

nope, no idea!

> bob_ninja sez: People keep saying to dump new oil used for storage but I never
> heard of a proper explanation WHY a new 6 month old oil in sump should be replaced.

It's called recreational oil changing. It provides a warm feeling of accomplishment and caring.

Even if there were condensed moisture or the remote possibility of some fuel present, both would burn off on the first decent 100+ mile ride of the new season. The amount of oil present in an unchanged filter is minor in relationship to the undrained captive oil retained throughout any engine at any oil change.

Regards, Gary in Sandy Eggo

and what if the float stuck and a pint of gas has been sitting in the crankcase all winter?
or injector (in this case)?
it is supposedly bad if fuel dilution is above 2%, what if it is 20%?
same goes for a coolant leak that could be found now as opposed to later.
extra pollution?
he'll save that by riding the bike and not driving a car/truck!

Gary,
Yeah I thought so. I have seasonal bike and a vehicle that are used for half a year. Putting in new oil before storage makes sense. Dumping it 1st thing at the start of a new season .... well besides "it is cheap" and "recreational oil changing" there is also it is a "waste" and "unecessary extra pollution" factors.
At this point I decided to at least use the storage oil for about half the usual OCI, just to be on the safe side and not feel guilty.
Throwing away unused oil just seems odd to me.

I am not sure I see an easy path for fuel to flow from the float past rings into the oil. Still, if there is a significant quantity of oil or coolant then I would notice. I check coolant and other fluids before starting it in the spring (as it happens this past weekend).
Both coolant and fuel were at the same level as before winter. In fact odds are that if you have/develop a significant leak from either coolant or fuel system you'd get it during summer and would notice it well before winter storage.

Many bikers seem to be paranoid and constantly ask "What if XYZ" When it comes to safety, sure I am paranoid as well, full gear and all that. Also, if you have an expensive bike, **** change the oil after every ride as far as I am concerned. But if you have a simple cheap bike (I bought mine used) then certain practices might be an overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back