Extended OCI : "Just Say No" - If You Drive GDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI engine in signature calls for OCI of 3,750 (severe) and 7,500 (highway) with 5W20 , 5W30 or 10W30 allowed (depending on ambient temperatures) . *Thinking about doing a 10,000 mile OCIon a GDI engine - I say think again : The first reason is the fuel dilution issue of GDI engines as by 3,000 ~ 4,000 miles after an oil change - it becomes a significant consideration . The 2nd reason is due to the increased impurities a GDI engine creates which ends up back in the oil which I believe find themselves in the vapors that land on intake valves and create carbon deposits which are difficult to clean . Additionally , I'm not sure even a Blackstone test with TBN measurements tells you all you need to know IF you drive a GDI engine - the fuel dilution number may be the most critical . So , I say if you drive a GDI engine - only use synthetic in the recommended rating , with the lowest NOACK and error towards reducing your OCI's rather than extending them ... Your thoughts ?

I just did 10,000 miles on an Ecoboost with MC 5w-20. The oil life monitor was down to 2%.

I think the engineers know what they are doing.

I think it depends on the car manufacturer. Hyundai GDI's seem to tear up oil in short order. I have seen UOA on VW direct injected and turbo'd engines running to 10K and great results. Same goes for Ford and their EcoBoost line.

I do about 6k on an early adopter GDI, Lexus IS

My routine:

1) Lotsa highway miles and high speeds
2) Lower NOACK, heavier oils. Heavy 5w30 or lighter 5w40
3) Fuel additives w/PEA and TT fuels
4) Change out Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve
5) Limit stop and go

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
I just did 10,000 miles on an Ecoboost with MC 5w-20. The oil life monitor was down to 2%.

I hope the engineers know what they are doing.

Fixed it. They probably do but unfortunately they are not the only ones involved in making that decision.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
2017 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L GDI engine in signature calls for OCI of 3,750 (severe) and 7,500 (highway) with 5W20 , 5W30 or 10W30 allowed (depending on ambient temperatures) . *Thinking about doing a 10,000 mile OCIon a GDI engine - I say think again : The first reason is the fuel dilution issue of GDI engines as by 3,000 ~ 4,000 miles after an oil change - it becomes a significant consideration . The 2nd reason is due to the increased impurities a GDI engine creates which ends up back in the oil which I believe find themselves in the vapors that land on intake valves and create carbon deposits which are difficult to clean . Additionally , I'm not sure even a Blackstone test with TBN measurements tells you all you need to know IF you drive a GDI engine - the fuel dilution number may be the most critical . So , I say if you drive a GDI engine - only use synthetic in the recommended rating , with the lowest NOACK and error towards reducing your OCI's rather than extending them ... Your thoughts ?

I am with you. I change the oil on our BMW 330i every 6 months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first.

Is the main purpose of GDI to increase fuel efficiency? If so, I wonder how the numbers work out regarding the cost of more frequent oil changes vs. better fuel economy. Not just in our pocketbook, but also in the amount of total resources consumed.

Having said that, are the supposed GDI problems real? I thought things have been improved.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Fixed it. They probably do but unfortunately they are not the only ones involved in making that decision.

All that Ford wants is that the truck is perceived as having a low maintenance requirement and that makes it past warranty without a major failure.
Past warranty - They Don't Care ......
Having run 1,000s of Fords in a fleet, this comes from 1st hand experience.

If it was my truck and I wanted to keep it past warranty, I would change it at 5,000 mile and use a 5W-30 D1G2 synthetic oil.
That OCI might reduce my concerns re: the history on the cam chain problems for the 3.5L EB

Fuel dilution in Hyundai/Kia GDI engines is a good reason to choose 5W30 or 10W30 over 5W20. Also, a synthetic with low volatility (NOACK) to minimize carbon buildup on intake valves is why some people use 10W30 instead of 5W30. I use "normal" operating conditions for required (7,500mi/1yr) OCI on my Kia 2.4L GDI using PUP 5W30 and OEM oil filter. Will probably switch to PUP 10W30 next oil change.

OP, do you have a UOA for YOUR driving profile and YOUR engine to substantiate the fuel dilution claims?

Please do not change the words in my quote. That is not what I said.

Originally Posted By: Danno

All that Ford wants is that the truck is perceived as having a low maintenance requirement and that makes it past warranty without a major failure.
Past warranty - They Don't Care ......

I don't think that is the case, especially considering they initially lost business to the Japanese due to reliability...

Yes, I'm sure they care less once it's out of warranty but it's not in Ford's best interest for the engine to fail right after warranty either.

right now, working with 5k mi, 6 month OCI; OLM in the teens.... below 20%. so far 18.2k miles on the car.
Also have an E2 catch can installed that grabs about an ounce every 1k mi.
i noticed upon emptying the 10 qts of oil into the oil pan; the whole garage stinks. seemingly much more so than with past port injected cars with 7.5k mi OCI.
not very scientific; but something is different.
mulling over doing 4k mi OCI since my driving has increased a little; 3 changes per year.... oil is cheap enough.
for me, cost has never been a consideration for oil changes, more of a what makes sense for me and my schedule than anything else.

i am also thinking that without a lab full of organic and inorganic analytical instrumentation it is not possible to really know everything about the oil.

I've never gone past 5K miles on any vehicle, Port or Direct Injected.

Depending on specs recommended in the Owner's Manual, i've used Conventional, Blends and Synthetics with no issue.

Fuel dilution is engine specific. I can accrue over a quart of fuel in short trips and cold weather, but I can also burn it down to 0 in mine. The rx does not seem to have any issues with fuel dilution, to be determined by uoa though. The contamination of oil and valve deposits seems far fetched. Clean your valves, its GDI. Most volatile parts of the oil burn first, so in my mind an extended oci will equal a better noack number per mile driven.

I think the engineers know what they are doing.

Is your plan backed by a UOA?

Ford actually back sped'd to 5w30 so right away, I am seeing issues.

+10

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
All that above...plus additionally dont use oily CAFE water...but Sae40 oils...

Why not 50? 60?

Not a helpful comment in the least. The topic is oci.

But... But... But..... Your wasting good oil!!! AAAUUUGGGHHH (head explodes)

Just wanted to join in on the "don't change your oil too soon" shaming on BITOG.

The previous owner of my vehicle probably ran the cheapest DINO they could get according to the OLM, so now I have the dirty engine to clean up. Should have been more picky I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back