Rotella T 15/40 and NAPA Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I JUST HAVE TO TELL SOMEONE !!!!
Rotella T 15/40 and NAPA Gold
Thats what I settled on for my VL800 after way too many hours reading this and other forums.
Darn...that felt good.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I have a Harley TC88 and you have to use 20w50 or you are asking to shorten your engine life with all the heat these things make. There are some guys who swear by Mobil1 15w40 and use it for years but for the extra 15 bucks I'll stick with 20w50 Synthetic of most any brand that's rated for a vtwin air cooled engine. But I never see the rotella. Does WalMart carry it?

KBFX, I know 20-50 is the "usual" for air cooled engines. BUT, unless you really get very high temps, such as oil temps in the 250+ range, you might find the 15-40's run cooler. Just depends upon your riding conditions. I had three Harleys, and usually ran 15-40's. None had any problems...at least, not oil-related. You have to remember that a 40 weight at 220 degrees may be as thick or thicker than a 50 weight at 250 degrees. I'm pulling the numbers out of the air, it's just the idea that I'm trying to illustrate.

Oh I believe you. And in Cleveland it probably fine 98% of the time until that August day when I get stuck in rush hour and cant move and its 88 degrees out and my engine is getting hotter and hotter and hotter.....that's when I am thinking: glad I got the 20w50 synthetic in there now. So,if you want a really nice hot Summer this year buy me 3 qts of 15w40 and it will hit 80 degrees for 3 months LOL. Just ask Murphy!

88 degrees???
oh man, i'm gonna cry with laughter.

it was 93F on friday.

SRT gets tested on the high side of 105F here in texas and in arizona. it is up to the job. and quite available at wallyworld.

Just a note about the Harley TC88..the oil injection system that shoots oil to the bottom of the pistons is what really gets the oil hot..add parade mode on a hot day really puts the stress to the oil..so at the minimum you want to use a 20-50 synthetic in the TC88..the EVO motor can get away with a dino oil..but even there, in summer, in southern states, a 25-60 wt dino like Rev Tech oil would give you better protection when in parade mode..

quote:

Originally posted by SKUNKY:
Just a note about the Harley TC88..the oil injection system that shoots oil to the bottom of the pistons is what really gets the oil hot..add parade mode on a hot day really puts the stress to the oil..so at the minimum you want to use a 20-50 synthetic in the TC88..the EVO motor can get away with a dino oil..but even there, in summer, in southern states, a 25-60 wt dino like Rev Tech oil would give you better protection when in parade mode..

You are right, and there are a lot of guys using the 15w40 in the EVO's for many miles with no issues. But the TC88 oil system craps your oil out in no time. I use 20w50 Syn3 with OCI at 3000 in the engine & primary. Redline shockproof for the trans.....OCI every fall.

quote:

Originally posted by Norm Olt:
Should be just fine... Let us know how you like them.

Feel better, now?

Cheers!

I like it, good for my motor and shifting is much quieter. This was my 2nd change since buying the bike. Had 1 qt. Amsoil 10-30 + 3qts. 10-40 GTX in for 2K+ miles. Getting a UOA on it soon.

Oil is one concern. But dust injestion from crappy aftermarket aircleaners and breather systems, fuel dilution from over rich jetting, and too low of idle will contribute far more to engine wear than the difference between a 40 or 50w in most cases.

The Napa filter is a good choice.

I used to think Rotella was good quality for the money. But I see the specs have changed a bit over the last few years. Flashpoint has went from 450 to 415. Why such a dramatic drop when the other specs are much the same? The flashpoint concerns me when 400 degrees F is considered minimum. I would never use it in an aircooled engine.

rokky, if flashpoint were a concern, and the 415 was too low, wouldn't that show up as a loss of oil as it burns/evaporates? IOW, if your engine normally doesn't "use" oil, and it begins to do so when using an oil with a lower flashpoint, it is a significant finding...otherwise, the change of flashpoint wouldn't be signifcant.

That could certainly be a indication. I would rather not be in the position of having oil burn off or evaporate. Damage from lack of proper lube could already have been done at this point.

Go to the Rotella website and go to the forums. They have a section on just motorccyles using Rotella in them. So Shell recommends it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back