Mobil 1 Official oil for S&S MC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea, I just read it. I don't know if you can call those glorified farm engines "performance" Perhaps they get those wannabe posers to the bar a little quicker than a normal Hardley Ableson.

Oh and thems shore is shiney, and they's loud so they must be fast
pat.gif

>Oh and thems shore is shiney, and they's loud so they must be fast

yawn.......................

At a press conference late Friday, the
CEO of Johnson Marine, makers of Johnson outboard
marine engines and other recreational equipment,
unveiled a new line of heavyweight cruiser style
motorcycles designed to compete head to head with
industry leader Harley-Davidson.

Peter Long, Johnson brands marketing
manager said, "We have studied the market and
determined that Harley, while highly successful, has
narrowly missed the mark when targeting motorcycle
buyers". Long added, "We, at Johnson, are convinced
our product hits the target dead center and promises
to draw sales away from Harley-Davidson in a way no
other motorcycle hasn't been able to accomplish".

The new line of bikes, marketed under
the name 'Big Johnson Motorcycles', will, according to
Long, deliver what Harley has only promised. "Our
research show that this, a Big Johnson, is what Harley
buyers are really after".

At the unveiling of the new line
Friday, several current Harley owners agreed. "When I
bought my Harley, what I really needed was a Big
Johnson", said one Harley owner." But I see now that
riding a Harley is no replacement for having a Big
Johnson."

Manager Long also said that his company
would follow the lead of Harley-Davidson and cash in
on a huge market for non-motorcycle related products.
"We realize that not every guy can have a Big
Johnson", said Long,"But image is very important to people.
If they don't have a Big Johnson, they at least want
to project the image of having one."

Asked if he anticipated Big Johnsons
showing up in the hands of Harley owners, Long said it
was unlikely. "I just don't see the need to have a
Harley if you have a Big Johnson", he said. "And I
can't imagine someone who spends all their resources to acquire a
Harley having a Big Johnson. I think it boils down to
this - You either have a Harley, or you have a Big
Johnson, but you are not likely to have both. "Given
the choice", said Long. " I think most guys will opt
for the Big Johnson".

Another force driving sales for the
company will come from women. A survey of the wives
and girlfriends of nearly 1,000 potential motorcycle
buyers indicates less than 5% would approve of their
partner spending $15,000 on a Harley Davidson. But,
when asked if they would be willing to pay the same
amount of money to get their partner a Big Johnson,
nearly 4 out 5 thought that would be money well spent.

One female present at the product
unveiling was quoted as saying, "There is no way I
will let Lonnie drop 15 grand on another one of those
Harleys, but 15 grand to get him a Big Johnson? Well,
that something we could both enjoy and it's something
he really needs."

Carla Roundheel, manager of the
dealership network now being established, said her
motto is simple. "I service what we sell." Big Johnson
motorcycles will be traded on the stock exchange under
the abbreviation P-ENVY.

There is only two type of motorcycle riders..........Harley riders and those that wish they were Harley riders. Now bow down to the two wheeled legend and quit whinning.

Don't forget the third kind or motorcyclist, those that have had several Harleys, and then choose to ride other bikes because the other bikes are bigger, more powerful, and handle better. I've owned three Harleys...drove one of them from the SE US up through NY, across Canada, and back home. Had no problems with the bike...it just felt small, slow, and underpowered (Road King). Now, I ride something larger and more powerful, people think it's a Harley until I park next to one, and they say, "Wow, look how small the Harley is."

Harleys are great if they fit you. If you have the money. If you don't mind their peculiarities. If you want a bigger bike that's more comfortable on the Hwy and can pull harder, while costing less, there are several other bikes to consider.

I love many of the motorcycles out there. I'm certainly not brainwashed into thinking there is "none other" than Harley. I certainly don't feel "left out" when I ride with a group of riders on Harleys. Inevitably, one of them will ask how I got my "Harley" to sound so good. Really turns their face red when I tell them its a Kawasaki...just shows how little some of the "pretenders" riding Harleys know about their own bikes, much less other bikes.

The "old-time Bikers" that choose Harleys never give me any trouble. It's true that they never seemed to want to know what I was riding when I was on one of the BMW's I had, unless it was a 1980's vintage boxer, but, on my current Kawasaki, they actually are often curious enough to ask me questions about it.

Harleys are fine. They're even better now that the other makes have made them raise their reliability and performance standards (Fuel injection, for example). That is what's so good about having different makes, the competition makes them all better.

Enjoy your Harley, it's a fine machine! You might want to consider being friendly to the "others", you never know when you might need their help on the side of the road some day!

titan, i agree 100%. i own both, a harley 1200xlh and also a kawasaki zrx1200r. i enjoy both bikes equally the same. each is totaly different, like the riders that choose cruisers or sportbikes. at least as far as i encounter, and as seen from the previous posts in this thread, it's the sport or import riders giving the bad mouth to the harley riders. we know that the typical 600cc sport makes almost 2 times the power of a twinn cam or evo. it's just a choice, say a certain person might prefer a caddy over a vette. it always seems the wisecracks are from non-hd owners. heck, the worst thing to a hd rider isn't the guys on inport machinery, it's the guy who don't know crap about bikes or the lifestyle, going out and spending 20 large on a scoot and all of a sudden becomes a 1%er or the like. the ones who can't even perform the simplest of maint on his bike. it's everyones personal choice on what they ride. i wave to everyone who waves to me, love the hyabusa's and fatboys, old british bikes, goldwings, bmw's and the like. if i hear a hd owner bashing a japanese bike, i tell em' yeah, try pulling up next to em' at the light pal, or the like. it's almost a dead give away that they're a newbie. i would expect the same in return if a "squid" on a sport bike called harleys crap. shows me nothing except the poster being a rookie as far as bikes are concerned. just shut up and ride
cheers.gif

What the heck is going on here! This isnt a bash harley thread, this isnt a bash S&S thread, this isnt a bash loud pipes thread, and it isnt a bash sport bikes thread!!!!!!!!!!! How about we stay on topic.

My two cents is that any oil that is the "official oil" of any manufacturer is solely due to advertising $$$ received therein.

Bravo.
Sadly, I've found that when it comes to cars and motorcycles, there are still lots of ignorant people around.
I used to own all US-made cars. Now, I own all Japanese-branded cars and bikes.
I ride with friends who have H-Ds and drive American cars.
I don't care what you drive/ride - they're all for our enjoyment and shouldn't be judged on the country of origin.
You can't stop this kind of thing. it's just human nature.

Sad though.

quote:

Originally posted by wizzells:
What the heck is going on here! This isnt a bash harley thread, this isnt a bash S&S thread, this isnt a bash loud pipes thread, and it isnt a bash sport bikes thread!!!!!!!!!!! How about we stay on topic.

My two cents is that any oil that is the "official oil" of any manufacturer is solely due to advertising $$$ received therein.

Ditto on the advertising $$$ you hit that nail on the head. As for the HD bashers they don't realize most Harley guys like me started on metric bikes and loved them but are no loger pushing the speed envelope but are into cruising. It's the same reason guys trade their Cigarette Top Gun in on a SeaRay. Kids usually do that to ya. But to all the guys who have those fast metric crotch rockets I say this: Darn it! If I was 21 again I'd have one of those too! So ride em and enjoy but you'll be looking for a Harley or a Vegas or a Boulevard or GoldWing when you hit 50 like me. It's old ****-itis guys. So chill out. We aren't trying to beat you.

All motorcycles ARE cool.
Thinking of a VROD in the next coupla years...love that bike, and I'm gettin' too old for the sporty bikes, I think.
smile.gif

I cannot stick up for the Harley folk at all. The majority of them and I do not mean 'all' of them are aholes in my area.

I've spent a lifetime(I'm no spring chicken) being snubbed and sneered at because of my Japanese bikes.

Sad but true.

Rokky,

It happens both ways, and don't even get into the BMW/Duacti crowd!
There are pri¢ks everywhere - all brands, all kinds if people.
Ignore them.

Scott

quote:

Originally posted by rokky:
I cannot stick up for the Harley folk at all. The majority of them and I do not mean 'all' of them are aholes in my area.

I've spent a lifetime(I'm no spring chicken) being snubbed and sneered at because of my Japanese bikes.

Sad but true.

Well, I'm on my 2nd Harley and like them so far but also like the looks of Polaris bikes too. I also like the way some of the new Hondas look but haven't had time to look at any because the Dealers are both way on the other side of town. I don't know how the whole issue got started but I don't really give a crap what anybody rides. If there were no competition for HD they would not have improved the reliability of their bikes and vice versus for the Japanese. Don't feel bad I get some Harley guys who look down their nose at me because I dont ride 50,000 miles a year and I'm educated. I just figure that's their problem.

quote:

Originally posted by ScottB:
Thinking of a VROD in the next coupla years...love that bike, and I'm gettin' too old for the sporty bikes, I think.
smile.gif

Vrod is nice.....ride the Vegas as well I really like the HD Low Rider for now but if I go water cooled it will probably be a Vrod. My buddy has one and it's flawless.

quote:

Originally posted by KBFXDLI:

quote:

Originally posted by ScottB:
smile.gif

Vrod is nice.....ride the Vegas as well I really like the HD Low Rider for now but if I go water cooled it will probably be a Vrod. My buddy has one and it's flawless.

That's the thing that makes me think I want the VROD - water cooling. Living in LA, I just don't think I'd feel comfortable on an air-cooled bike. But in reality, it's my favorite H-D, sans the flat-track 750s...

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back