Harley Syn3 or Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't use either one. I use Redline 20-50 in a highly modified 03 TCb Fatboy. Reguardless of brand of oil, I think it is more important to keep oil temps under control. An oil cooler is a must with TC engines. Those oil sqirters that cool off the underside of the pistons raise oil temps higher than I like. The oil tank temp gauge showed a 20plus degree decrease under simular conditions with a factory oil cooler installed. Pick a good 20-50 synthetic like Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50, Redline, RP, or Amsoil and have fun.

Fatboymoe, I think you are just about right. You listed up all the brands I would considder to use in a bike. After seing drops in temperature(10-40fahrenheit) on several harleys, when shifting from Harley-oil to Royal Purple, I understood that it is important to chose the right oil. At least if you care about the engine. I think you should, because the engine is the thing that brings you forward. I have seen several articles here on BITOG,where members are only interested in the price of the oil. Many members think it is smart to save 12 USD on a oil-change, and because of that, having to buy a new engine within 5-6 years that costs 2-4000. In fact, using a high quality synthetic oil, actually saves you money(and time). If you also use the oil brands you listed, your engine is getting the best protection possible.

Amsoil here in my 88B. Been using it since the first year and I have been very happy with it. No oil consumption at all. 10W40 or 20W50 Amsoil in the primary and 75W90 or 20W50 in the trans.

I've heard of shifting problems with the Syn3 product. I'm not sure if it's up to the task for all 3 holes in the harley.

The new Amsoil product uses a better additive package that actually rates as a GL1 gear lube which is supposedly designed to help shifting in the H-D's.

That report should say it all.

BTW, Amsoil recommends 2 times the manufactures interval, so you might even save some money by extending your drains with the product.

I personally do not like Amsoil for my Bike (Buell XB12s)
shifting would get difficult with higher engine temperatures
I did not experience that with ether the factory oil or Redline
for warranty reasons it would be better to use the Harley fluids.
even if your dealer dose not void your warranty they may try, and also may give you a harder time. (I know of one person that got there extended warranty revoked because they missed a service)
thats why I do not bring my bike to the dealer at all. I work on GM cars and trucks for a living if I can handle them I sure can work on a bicycle with a engine on it.

What kind of game is Harley playing? They nor any other manufacturer can make you use a specific brand of oil. Aren't they making enough on vests and chaps?

That the oil didn't have anything to do with the failure?

The same thing they would say if you used another 20W-50 brand?

Who knows? I'm confident they would be glad to sell you a new $30K bike, though!

Cheers!

Wow, I dont' understand why you guys are so down on Harley Davidson? It seems that they have done a pretty good job turning the company into a winner. And why would they risk ruining their reputation for the small comparative profit they make on motor oil when in fact they do quite well on clothing and parts. I guess my dealer must be a pretty nice guy. He gives all HOG members 10% off for being members and all active military personnel 20% off and will ship to them everywhere. His dealerships offer return buyers below MSRP pricing on new bikes and above NADA trade-in values for traded Harleys. So, yeah..I have had a great experience with Harley Davidson and will continue to believe what they tell me until they give me a reason not to. So
dunno.gif
unds to me like you guys need to find another dealer.

I went back to my dealer and they recommended the Syn3 in my Dyna Low Rider (all 3 holes). They gave me a discount on the oil becuase I'm a HOG member and showed me a new $30,000 Screaming Eagle Fat Boy filled with Syn3 at the factory.
I figure if Harley is willing to fill a $30k bike with Syn3 and give a 100% warranty and extend it for up to 7 years with the Syn3...then it's probably OK for my bike. The service Mgr told me they have over 350 bikes out there with Syn3 and nobody has complained. So, I'm going with the Syn3 since I have a 2 year warranty and if the engine blows with their oil in it what can they say?

I don't bash HD. It's just sometimes dealers are less than honest. I remember about 8 years ago my local dealer didn't want people to use syn. oil because it would cause the roller hydraulic lifter to "skid" on the cam lobe because it was too "slippery". That's garbage! Then about 3 years ago when they came out with their own labeled syn. lube at $8.25 a qt., it magically is O.K. to use.

I would not use HD syn. in my transmission, no matter what some service manager said. I have seen and ridden bikes that had that stuff in the trans. and in warm to hot weather the bikes shifted really notchy and made too much noise for my liking. Redline Shockproof Heavy has been my choice and has really worked well. I don't ride in below freezing weather, so I can't comment on how it works in that circumstance.

FatboyMoe: That would be disturbing and I would find another dealer. My dealer sells Syn3, HD Dino 20w50, Formula+ and BelRay. If you stand at the parts counter......I should say sit there on the bar stools....you will hear everybody give you their opinion and many guys won't use Syn3. But I am a "rounder" and need an oil that will turn over at 49 degrees because I will go for that ride in December or January when we get a 55 degree day. I got 100 miles in last month. Here in Cleveland you can walk on our water in January and it catches on fire in July. So, I need a synthetic lube. I tried Syn3 in my Sportster and it was fine......it does take the bike an extra 3-4 minutes to warm up because the Syn gives the engine a better heat rejection rate. But this is all JMO. Back to dealers, After being on these forums for a short time I realize how nice my dealer really is. But, he is a down to earth guy and true American and supports our troops and that's why I go there. His name is Ernie and he owns Liberty HD in Akron Ohio. My best advice is you find a guy like Ernie and stick with him. You won't be sorry. Oh yeah..I drive about 5 miles further to get to Ernie's dealership than the "other" dealers in Cleveland...but it's worth it. KB

when i changed my hd from a mineral( kendal gt1 20w50) to a syn (motul 300v 15w50) i found i could leave my house in the morning, ride up the hill in 3rd gear instead of 2nd with the choke off. unscientific yes, but noticeable change IMO. but it now raises the question of whether the 15 motul was thinner than the 20 kendal and if that brought about the change. ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back