Why Did Mobil 1 Fail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
It's not selling due to the price.

I just cant leave oil in my engine that long.. I feel weird even going 6000 miles... Somtimes I change it at 5000 Miles.
So 20000 miles seems like alot.. Also it tells even on the Mobile Ultimate to follow you Oil Life Indactor lite..

I dont think many engines can go 20000 miles per oil change. At least I dont think the bearings and such are made that for that.

Originally Posted By: billt460
It's not that easy to sell, "Once A Year" oil changes to guys who drive a lot and change their own oil. Or shade tree mechanics in general. I drive very little, and would never go an entire year without an oil change. I don't care what the bottle said. Not to mention I'm sure not going to pay what they're asking, so I can do it.

I agree 100%.. When I first say this oil.. I said Well this wont last long.

Just like when Valvoline cam out with Recycled FULL Synthetic Oil that sold for the same price and None Recycled Full Syn Oil..

I always thtough that Valvoline should of sold the recycled oil for much less $ and then perhaps it would of sold..

Perhaps If Mobil puts the price down some then perhaps people might use it.

I saw at Walmart that if you buy a 5QT Jug of Mobil Ultimate for $50 that you got a 15$ Walmart Gift Card and Still that did not make them Sell.

Last edited:
Agree JJ = some are on and on about the 20k/1 year ~ and I keep pointing out that many of us run M1 EP and Edge far less than 15k … it’s the price bottom ~ and that alone I’m waiting on …

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: macarose
I decided to take a deeper dive into the rarified world of motor oil marketing.

The Hammer http://www.thedrive.com/the-hammer/12395/why-did-mobil-1-fail

Hope you enjoy it. All the best!

Steven Lang

In Europe, 20K oil and filter changes are the norm.
Nothing special about the engines and the oil is priced well above even the sucker price at which M1 AP was originally offered.
Most of us have a hard time adjusting to the notion of longer drains than we've become accustomed to doing.
Doesn't mean it can't be done.
We seem to get all hung up on the idea that our engines should look as clean internally as our wine glasses and that wear is somehow a bad thing when it's merely inevitable.
I myself would have no problem with sending a car to the yard with a less than pristine engine when it reaches the end of its practical life as a road vehicle.

i changed yearly with a filter @ 6 months in the past + still do!! driving less than 5,000 miles + although short trips with my daily 08 colorado i also do weekly longer runs to dry the oil out. i use better oils, at least group III fake synthetic + brand names. traded my 01 Jetta 1.8T modified @ 200,000 miles + still running great with 20+ on the Vac-boost gauge!!! with manufacturers giving less + less specs + info those screaming "synthetic" are surely hiding the fact that mostly if not all base oil is group III, not a bad thing really but its nice to know what your paying for!!!

Twice a year oil changes are my thing.Right before it gets hot or cold out and I don't care what the miles are.I bought Mobile 1 for 21 bucks through Amazon and it didn't seem expensive to me. My one change has been too a better filter because of what I have read here.People have been changing their oil at 3000 miles for years and the idea of leaving oil in for a year just doesn't sit right.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
I never understood why Mobil 1 doesn't have the Chrysler MS-6395 spec approval but their lower cost/non-existent "Super Synthetic" does. In fact if you use the Mobil web site to determine the proper oil to use for a Ram 1500 5.7L, they only recommend the 5w-20 "Super Synthetic".

Strange.

IIRC, this was part of the fallout from the FIAT acquisition of Chrysler. Pennzoil (FIAT's supplier) took over for Mobil as the FF and Service Fill and Mobil was NOT happy about the sudden termination of the contract.

Overnight the FF and Service Fill for SRT vehicles went from M1 0w-40 to a new "spec" 0w-40, which was honoured exclusively by the Pennzoil SRT formula. That is still the case. However companies like Castrol seem to not care and are recommending their Euro 0w-40 as an alternative, despite lacking formal approval.

I don't understand Mobils reasoning if in fact this is true, so Mobil is jilted but if they get the FCA 6395 certificate and make more FCA car owners feel comfortable buying Mobil 1 and they sell more oil don't you kinda get over it?
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: Toto
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: ChesterCopperpot
I never understood why Mobil 1 doesn't have the Chrysler MS-6395 spec approval but their lower cost/non-existent "Super Synthetic" does. In fact if you use the Mobil web site to determine the proper oil to use for a Ram 1500 5.7L, they only recommend the 5w-20 "Super Synthetic".

Strange.

IIRC, this was part of the fallout from the FIAT acquisition of Chrysler. Pennzoil (FIAT's supplier) took over for Mobil as the FF and Service Fill and Mobil was NOT happy about the sudden termination of the contract.

Overnight the FF and Service Fill for SRT vehicles went from M1 0w-40 to a new "spec" 0w-40, which was honoured exclusively by the Pennzoil SRT formula. That is still the case. However companies like Castrol seem to not care and are recommending their Euro 0w-40 as an alternative, despite lacking formal approval.

I don't understand Mobils reasoning if in fact this is true, so Mobil is jilted but if they get the FCA 6395 certificate and make more FCA car owners feel comfortable buying Mobil 1 and they sell more oil don't you kinda get over it?
TOTO.

Maybe they will eventually. I think they make "lesser" oils with the certification, but nothing in the Mobil 1 lineup. Seems silly I know
21.gif

Originally Posted By: benjy
i changed yearly with a filter @ 6 months in the past + still do!! driving less than 5,000 miles + although short trips with my daily 08 colorado i also do weekly longer runs to dry the oil out. i use better oils, at least group III fake synthetic + brand names. traded my 01 Jetta 1.8T modified @ 200,000 miles + still running great with 20+ on the Vac-boost gauge!!! with manufacturers giving less + less specs + info those screaming "synthetic" are surely hiding the fact that mostly if not all base oil is group III, not a bad thing really but its nice to know what your paying for!!!

Changing a filter at 2,500 is crazy. You are doing more harm then good technically. A filter is at it's best right before it clogs. We have seen a poster on here that did oil analysis on particle counts to see how long his Amsoil filter would last before going into by-pass and it was est at 37,000 miles.

Even the worst filter on the market will filter safely to 5,000 miles. Changing out at 2,500 is borderline stupidity.

That likens me to the yearly sparkplug change outs people do in the personal marine fishing boat outboards. SOme people change out plugs yearly ( some plugs are $30 each) V6 out of habit from their 2 -stroke days. When they have as low as 50 hours on them. that like driving from coat to coast, and back and they are changing their plugs. Same high tech plugs cars get, same 4 stroke lean technology cars have. And no higher rpm doesnt take a high toll at 50 hours or even 300 hours. You can go 10 years on these plugs with zero issues.

This oil doesn't even get back to the performance claims of the original Mobil-1, which was advertised as good for 1 year or 25,000 miles. While the performance standards back then weren't as demanding as today, motor oil had to work against contamination from leaded gas and fuel dilution from imprecise carburetors. That XOM today won't support extended drain intervals for conventional Mobil-1 shows how much they have cheapened the original product. To be fair we should take into account price. The original Mobil-1 retailed for about $4/quart back in ~1974. Taking into account inflation, the equivalent price today would be about $21/qt. So when price is considered, AP is a good deal at $8/qt (when purchased in 5 gallon jugs.)

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Agree JJ = some are on and on about the 20k/1 year ~ and I keep pointing out that many of us run M1 EP and Edge far less than 15k … it’s the price bottom ~ and that alone I’m waiting on …

Yes we're still waiting and their still $18 away from a sale at my house!

I just wanted to add that XOM warranty is useless. They want a total engine tear down at your cost to prove that their oil failed your engine. I asked a bunch of shops near me and they are not willing to tear down since it takes so much time and shop space. (my oil turned into a gel, lost engine) they do not care for an oil sample with out the tear down.

Originally Posted By: Jooksing
I just wanted to add that XOM warranty is useless. They want a total engine tear down at your cost to prove that their oil failed your engine. I asked a bunch of shops near me and they are not willing to tear down since it takes so much time and shop space. (my oil turned into a gel, lost engine) they do not care for an oil sample with out the tear down.

Still trying to sell that scam? Do you really expect XM to buy you a new engine based on your word alone? Your own UOA showed the sample was not M1. When are you going to correct all of your YouTube vides with that info?

Originally Posted By: Jooksing

Why would they warranty something that clearly wasn't theirs, which you proved? IIRC it wasn't even engine oil. I'd say it's time to move on.

The tear down should be on your dime, it wasn't their oil, which once again has already been proven. If I were you I'd tread lightly, you could end up getting sued.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back