15w40 in scooter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought my wife a Kymco People 150cc scooter. It is air cooled and has no oil filter just the screen. It calls for 15w40 oil and I would like some recommendations on what would be a good oil in this motor. She is just going to be riding it around town and it winds out at about 65mph. I am running Amsoil 20w50 in my twin cam 88 and really happy with that. I plan on at least once a year change intervals and probably twice a year if she rides it much. It holds less than a quart which is why I think this application warrants a good synthetic with short change intervals.

100% Completely & Totally
offtopic.gif

**** in Falls Church,

I'm a little dyslexic, & every time I see your user name, I always read it as "**** Falls in Church". It conjures up a funny mental picture of some fellow walking down the aisle & then "CRASH!!!".

I guess I'm sick like that.
tongue.gif

I've been known to crash from time to time.
Kids tell me it comes from age, but I know it is something else--just can't remember what!

Last time I crashed was after looking for JAG Headquarters for 10 hours.

I am not all that familiar with 15w40. Can anyone explain this viscocity to me? Is it safe to use a good 10w40 or is the 15w40 signigicantly thinner/thicker? Any opinions on if this warrants a synthetic or with short change intervals a dino will not be shredded?

i am answering my above questions......so the 15w40 is a bit thicker than the 10w40. Since this is an air cooled engine with not much oil in the sump I definately don;t want to go to thin. I think a synthetic 10w40 should work well or a dino 15w40. It looks like most of the dino 15w40's are formulated for diesel use and have a hefty additive pack. Any comments on how often I need to change this oil? Is twice a year overkill? That little motor really winds up.

I use "dino" 15w-40 in wife's Kymco scooter, change @ 1000 km (620 mile) intervals. Scooter is used primarily for utility/short trips. Wouldn't hesitate to increase OCI to 2000 km with a good HDEO synthetic 5w-40.

Phil
Live Oak, FL

A 10W- will pour faster at very low temps than will a 15W-. As a practical matter, I doubt your wife will be scootering at 0F or below.
Once a year should be fine with a good synthetic, unless she is riding it for over 150-200 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back