OIL FOR 1969 CAT D333?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a really clean 1969 cat motor grader with a D333 motor. Any suggestions for motor oil? I run mystic 15w-40 syn blend in my 2015 power stroke and also in my 2015 Case 580 Super N backhoe which both were bought new but I don't know much about the new oil goin in the older machines

Appreciate any comments

I'll bet it calls for SAE 30 HD ... Not sure, but all the older CAT's I've worked on want that
smile.gif

Shell Rotella T5 10W30 will provide start up protection you need and is better than any 30W from 40+ years ago.

Originally Posted By: CT8
30 = 15W-40

Pretty much.

Any cheap 15W-40 now is better oil than what was available 40-50 years ago.

Since im not sure what oil was used in my grader previously Any reason I shouldn't convert to mystic 15-40 synthetic blend ? No worries of new oil consumption ?
I'm kinda old school and I was made to believe switching oil could cause oil consumption.

What would the oil used before your ownership have to do with anything since 1960 the grader has had more different oils than a horse has had shoes.

Understand this engine was produced well before 15W40 was available. I would recommend using SAE 40 oil if you don't need to do cold starting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: CT8
30 = 15W-40

Pretty much.

There are plenty of modern SAE 30 and SAE 40 grades out there. No VII's to shear down and they lube very well. There are some engines that will tear up any multi grade, so they are recommended for mono's only.

Just becasue it's a mono, does not mean it is "40 years old" ...

Originally Posted By: Cat12f
I just bought a really clean 1969 cat motor grader with a D333 motor. Any suggestions for motor oil? I run mystic 15w-40 syn blend in my 2015 power stroke and also in my 2015 Case 580 Super N backhoe which both were bought new but I don't know much about the new oil goin in the older machines

Appreciate any comments

Your current 15W-40 will work good or better than the SAE 30. The oil quality has gotten better and there was a reason that Cat switched from 30 to 15W-40, better cold weather, better hot weather.

I fixed a lot of D333s between 1984 and 2003. All of the older cats used 30 wt. I care for four 3516s now and they take 15-40 Rotella. I wouldn't be afraid to run 15-40 in the 333 but you may want to check the condition of a rod and a main bearing before changing oils. I fixed mostly generator sets so it was easy to open a side cover for a peek inside. May be less easy in an earth mover.

You are in Oklahoma, contrary to popular belief the weather there can get very cold. Is one of your planned uses snow clearing? If so would not use a 30 wt let alone a 40W unless I had block heaters. Changeing your hydraulic oil to a modern oil is not a bad idea.

If summer use building terraces etc, then a straight 30 or 40 is an excellent choice.

Rod

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Shell Rotella T5 10W30 will provide start up protection you need and is better than any 30W from 40+ years ago.

Not necessarily ... Almost all multi's use some VII's. SAE straight grades are all oil
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by CT8
30 = 15W-40

Pretty much.

We are running 15W-40 in modern day (big bore) CAT engines … 7k HP

Caterpillar oil selection can be complex. Download a copy of SEBU6251-21 and it will tell you what you need. You'll probably end up using a commercial API CK-4/CJ-4/CI-4 PLUS/CI-4 oil in SAE 10W-30 or 15W-40 depending on your lowest anticipated regional temperature range.. Most likely it will be the 15W-40.

Most of the straight grades such as SAE 30 or 40 meet API CF/CF-2 categories and are relatively low tech oils when compared with modern mutigrades. However, they will also perform in this motor but may have some low temperature start up issues without block heaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back