Compilation of TPMS relearning by manufacturer

Jeep/mopar is easily one of the best systems out there..

unlike subaru's afterthought abortion of a system.

Jeep system.. put tires wherever it just works and tells you pressure of each tire... sensors are $8-10 each at the dealer.

Subaru system > Can only store 4 sensors max. Total cluster if you use 2 sets of wheels.
needs expensive tool(150$+)
Doesnt tell you pressures. Idiot light to tell you of possible issues.
Sensors around $40-$50 each.

I have no experience with 2017+ Subaru I think they might be migrating to a better system finally.

You should have seen some Mitsubishi vehicles (Lancer, Outlander, Outlander Sport/RVR, and Mirage - the US-spec, TPMS-equipped Mirage; the Canadian-market Mirage doesn't use TPMS on its wheels).
Relearning the system on those vehicles was completely different from the standard OBD-II procedure. I had to use a Snap-On Modis Ultra to enable the relearn procedure and use the Bartec Tech400 SD as the trigger tool. Despite a few hiccups, it worked out all right.

Found out that the Oz reset instructions are wrong.

Had to put the spare on the other day due to a screw in the right rear...spare has no TPMS and was showing the left rear...let down the left front and the right front showed flat.

So the Oz instructions in the owner's manual are Bass Ackwards, and you have to treat it as LHD.

You wonder with the complexity of resets, etc why don't they just use actual TPMS sensors in each wheel with a direct pickup alongside. The Lexus needs no resetting when rotating tires.

So when a tire place offers "free" rotation, will some charge for the relearning process ? Our cars only have a single light that tells us (at least) ONE of the tires has low pressure, not which it is. Will the sensors still work if a tire has low pressure ? I presume it will.

i like the older ford TMPS systems around 05 where if a tire was low it just simply says check tire pressure so you check them all, should be checking them all anyways even a specific tire is low.

i bought the TPMS 19 tool for my parents 2015 escape and it also works on my brothers edge and several other models etc.

I guess some of the fords reset automatically after you drive them, but i think thats only after 2015

Oh goody. Can somebody school me on TPMS in the 16 Camry. I want to buy a set of winter wheels for them. TIA
grin.gif

Get yourself an an ebay techstream cable and old (32 bit) laptop. You can see the sensor data/ codes from your present tires-- write that stuff down. Your new sensors will come with 7-digit alpha codes, write those down too. Connect the laptop every change over and viola!

An honest hassle. You may have to reinstall the questionable software fairly often, it expires after a few months. May be worth getting "cloned" sensors from your tire dealer instead.

I just purchased the VXDAS (EL-50448) for my 2018 Silverado. It took all of maybe two minutes to put the TPMS in relearn mode and sync all the tires. What a bargain for $10.00!

I just bought a 2020 Jetta. I'm not sure what type of system it has. If the pressure itself is reported or if the wheel rpm is used? All I know is that after filling all tires to the proper pressure, you go to the tire settings page and set those values. I'm assuming when I do a tire rotation, I can do the reset again. No tpms tool required?

I use the Garmin screw ons. I just punch in the pressure and low pressure warning into my 595LM. They work like a charm!! No relearning. No removing tire to replace battery or bad sensor.

The best is still MOPAR. Cannot be fooled, put the tires wherever you want and the computer will figure them out as soon as they turn a few rotations. I've had tire shops actually try to charge me for the relearn procedure!

My 08 TL is the same way. I've never had to relearn anything and the pressures are updated by the time I back out of the garage. Direct sensors as well. Ask me when its time to replace them, but for now, I prefer them over the passive systems. I like knowing what my pressures are as opposed to 'you have a tire low' Came in handy the day I cut a 1" gash in a tire on the interstate. Warning went off, flipped to the pressure screen and watched it count down. I had barely enough time to make it to a safe spot to change a tire before it went completely down. If it was just a 'you have a low tire' warning I might have limped it further and destroyed a wheel or worse.

My regular shop guy neglected to "relearn" the TPMS when he installed my Continentals on Wednesday. Now the wheels are 180 degrees out of phase -- the system thinks the right rear is the left front, etc. I can't blame him. He's never missed a trick in the 18 years I've gone there, and he was horrifically busy on Wednesday.

Turns out my local GM dealer will do the relearn for free tomorrow. If they wanted to charge me more than the $10 for the VXDAS tool above, or if I had multiple vehicles that needed rotations often, I'd buy it. (Which I might do anyway.)

The title of this thread should have been, “Complication of TPMS relearning by manufacturer.”

I just bought a 2020 Jetta. I'm not sure what type of system it has. If the pressure itself is reported or if the wheel rpm is used? All I know is that after filling all tires to the proper pressure, you go to the tire settings page and set those values. I'm assuming when I do a tire rotation, I can do the reset again. No tpms tool required?
That sounds like the wheel rotation system same as my Tiguan.

That sounds like the wheel rotation system same as my Tiguan.
TPMS tool? Both VW and BMW do not require TPMS tool.
My Toyota on other hand? I just gave up. Driving with light on in winter. Considering I drive it once a week so battery does not die, it is OK.
I asked Toyota dealership when I got this POS is there any way that does not require TPMS tool, and guy literally said: take out light from dash. I did that on Tacoma.

Back